Partially Completed Tasks?

Is there a way to indicate partially completed tasks with checkboxes? Either natively, or maybe via a plugin? I don’t need anything super-fancy like percentage complete, but it would be really helpful to be able to differentiate between “not started,” “in progress,” and “complete.”

If the theme you’re using supports alternative checkboxes, you can indicate that a task is in progress by changing ‘- [ ]’ (uncompleted task) to ‘- [/]’.

1 Like

Also there is a community plugin “Checkbox 3 states” that has “not fully done”. (I have never tested it.)

2 Likes

The tasks plugin has just added support for various alternative checkbox status indicators. Check that plugin.

2 Likes

As others have said, the Tasks plugin is likely going to cover your needs.

The newest release adds custom statuses: Release 1.23.0 - Custom Statuses! · obsidian-tasks-group/obsidian-tasks · GitHub

1 Like

Use it with minimal theme and you see some cool icons.

3 Likes

Is it just me, or aren’t you affected by how notes are not renamed within tasks (and admonitions) code blocks? For me that’s a big turn off…

I agree with the cool icons, however, minimal comes with some other styling things I don’t know how to disable easily. Maybe there are suggested workflows I’m missing, in a buffet-style for minimal? For example, I love the multi-icons for checkboxes, but I don’t prefer the All-upper-case-with-bigger-initial-cap.

You can fix the title styling in the Style Settings plugin or the Minimal theme plugin, I forget which one. But with those two plugins, you can customize a lot of the theme.

1 Like

Thanks! I will check it out. I like a lot of minimal, but not all of it.

1 Like

Interestingly, the default theme does display partially-completed tasks differently, it just wasn’t immediately obvious to me because it doesn’t display it as I might have expected.

A completed task puts a checkmark in the checkbox and strikes through the list item.
A partially-completed task puts the same checkmark in the checkbox…but doesn’t strike through the text.

Looks like that works with any character (and is officially considered “complete” despite the different style). https://help.obsidian.md/How+to/Format+your+notes#Task+list

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.