Parameters to localize Graph View

Features

I’d like to see the ability to show a certain level of propagations from a note. So it only show notes that are 2-3 connections away from current note.

I’d also like the ability to keep only apply graph view to a specific folder. What other parameters would people like to impose for graph view? I see people like tiddlymap, might be worth looking at.

The Bigger Picture

My favorite example of graph view so far is wikipedia map but that is more from a curiosity standpoint and less from a utility one.

I like the idea for at least goofing around, but I haven’t seen an online blog post or video demonstration of graph view being used on notes to reach new insights, so I’m unsure about it. The only example I know about is something along the lines of Quid where it has a push and pull factor that shows “clusters”.

17 Likes

I would love to add this in our next push for graph view improvements.

5 Likes

Graph view is the key, core feautre .

Hope like this one and Tiddlymap :slight_smile:
http://papergraph.res.ibm.com/?term=Artificial+Intelligence&size=30&affiliations=&viewMode=network

I’d love to be able to specify the number of steps away to view connections as well.

4 Likes

and it also could build base on open source https://github.com/noduslabs/infranodus

but it don’t support backlink right now, just #hastags, and @ methion

+1 for the ability apply graph view to a specific folder.
I organize my projects in order. At the beginning they are very little interconnected, I first collect material and refactor only after some research. Right now I use the graph view with a path filter. It works well and shows me the notes from just that folder.

But what I’m missing is the ability to display ALL notes in the project folder PLUS those notes outside the folder that are linked.

Graph view of a specific folder is possible by using “path:” search operator in graph filter
Reference: Search - Obsidian Help

From https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-8-6/4770 :

Local graph now has an option to specify number of jumps from the current note.

So IMHO this request can be archived.

Navigation in/with graph view is explicitly requested in Graph Navigation Mode and Use local graph for navigation and might be already possible with Neo4j Graph View Plugin.

2 Likes

+1

The Wikipedia map generator is something I didn’t even know I wanted Obsidian publish to have and it looks incredible.

Moreover, along with the suggestions mentioned it would be good to choose to not include unpublished items in your graph view on publish. I have lots of textbooks and papers that I have on my local obsidian that I can’t publish because that would be piracy, but they end up cluttering the view on the published local graphs as dead nodes.

Similarly, to remove clutter there should be options to not show back-linked topics on the published graph.

I think what you are needing is Juggl plugin for Obsidian. It seems much more powerful than Tiddlymap to me. If you try it tell me what you think about that comparison.

Yes I was going to make a post similar to this. I even had a name for the feature haha. Ariadne’s thread. Maybe even some sort of “pin” feature where you can leave a portion of the graph highlighted, and then you can add related highlighted connections as one see fit for a purpose.

I think would be great into that to turn on and off, in the graph view, the ability of connect non-linked files