Override the page title/heading?

Is there a way to over-ride the Title/Heading of a page?

I want the link in the navigation to be “Home” but I don’t want the pages Title/Top Heading to be home.

I know that I can turn this feature on:

But I want the filenames, to be the headings/page title for every other page except the home page and there are hundreds if not thousands of other files.

I don’t recall seeing that setting, or that exact wording anyway, in the vanilla Obsidian settings. Is that from a theme or plugin setting?

In any event, you can hide the inline title on specific notes using a cssclass and CSS snippet.

In the note(s) where you want to hide the inline title, the Properties/YAML should include:

---
cssclasses: no-inline
---

and the CSS snippet:

.no-inline .inline-title {
    display: none;
}

The no-inline part can be changed to your liking as long as it doesn’t conflict with another cssclass.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 072625

1 Like

Just an idea, @ariehen, but if you added another tag or class to the file, like homepage, wouldn’t it then be possible to hide the inline title, and use ::after and add “Home” instead?

Holroy,

That’s a neat idea and this for sure works:

.homepage .inline-title::before {
    display: block;
    content: "🐸🦁🐻‍❄️🐱🐟"
}

.homepage .inline-title::after {
    content: "🩴👘👠🧤⛑️";
}

or fancy:

.homepage .inline-title {
    &::before {
        content: "🐸🦁🐻‍❄️🐱🐟" 
    }
    &::after {
        content: "🩴👘👠🧤⛑️"; 
    }
}

Screenshot 2024-01-24 091859

But if .inline-title is set to display none, at all, the pseudo-elements won’t work in my quick test (using the same or different cssclasses). There, of course, could be a way.

An alternative, a neat plugin I came across recently, GitHub - snezhig/obsidian-front-matter-title: Plugin for Obsidian.md is also an option to add arbitrary text to the inline-title/DOM.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 092504

.homepage .inline-title {
    &::before {
        content: "🐸🦁🐻‍❄️🐱🐟";
        font-size: 16px;
        font-size: 1rem; /* Maintain relative font-size in browsers that support it */
        letter-spacing: normal;
        color: #000;
    }

font-size: 1px;
    letter-spacing: -1px;
    color: transparent;
}

How far off am I with the above CSS? It’s inspired by this post: html - Hide element, but show CSS generated content - Stack Overflow

I’m thinking the color handling could be better, and possibly also the sizing… And I’m not on my desktop so can’t test it…

1 Like

:clap:

Ohh, that’s sneaky. Use the ::before for what you want to see, and just shrink and transparent what is originally there. I will put this in the toolbox, for sure.

1 Like