Outlook agenda in Obsidian

I’ll just flail about over here on my Windows work machine :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I added a system command to Templater. The command looks like the following:

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy -npc -iep "title,datetime,attendees" -b -\ -po "datetime,title" -ps "|: |\\n |" eventsToday

This gets me the agenda for the day:

and for my weekly overview I use this command:

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy -npc -nrd -iep "title,datetime" -b -\ -po "datetime,title" -ps "|: |\\n |" eventsFrom:"date -v+monday '+%F 00:00:00 %z’" to:"date -v+1w ‘+%F 00:00:00 %z’"

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m not using Templater myself, but will have a look next weekend.

I do wish there would be a solution that could interact directly with Outlook. If I do end up doing something with icalbuddy and Keyboard Maestro I’ll be sure to share it here

1 Like

I mean it would be totally possible to build something like that with the microsoft graph api.
Maybe I am starting a project for that because I also would love to see that. Project Management is a huge point for using obsidian. I can customise about anything and have things my way.

2 Likes

Hey, I tried to get that to work, but it turns out that Obsidian doesn’t have the permissions necessary to access the calendars on my mac. If you’re using a mac as well - how did you fix that?

Hi there,

I’ve been using icalbuddy to populate my weekly Kanban, and in principle it works fine, but it HAS to be run on a Monday or all the dates are out…I was wondering if you’re weekly overview allows for a more dynamic interpretation of which dates to choose, but it gives me the entire month of October

Is this supposed to be a ‘relative’ Monday? As in the closest to now?

I’d like to be able to run the common on a Sunday or Monday or Tuesday, but still get this weeks dates. Any ideas?

icalBuddyFixed.zip (54.1 KB)

Hi there,

I also struggled to get this to work. And I found a “fixed” version of iCalBuddy that seems to work when you call it from automation. I don’t know what’s different there but it works.

Maybe one step in the troubleshooting process cloud also be to just rund the command on the console without obsidian in between.

1 Like

Yes this -v+monday should theoretically work just like you want it. At least for me it works. But I know that the dates Command works different on macOS and Linux. Are you also on macOS?

“fixed” makes me a bit nervous - this is a company laptop…
Do you have a source for that? Preferably with the source code…

Edit: If it’s the same version as here, that seems fine.

Yes it is exactly that. I just could not find the source any more and directly uploaded it.

1 Like

Hi again,

I am - and unfortunately it didn’t - I get the entire month!

I just tried it again, and this simplified version seems to work (have to try it tomorrow to see…)

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy -npc -nrd -iep “title,datetime” -b “-” eventsFrom:“date -v+monday” to:“date -v+1w”

Hey,

no worries. Maybe we can figure it out together. Can you post the output of the following two commands?

date -v+monday

and

date -v+1w

Thanks! Both of those are working just fine!

And the simplified version I pasted above, also works today - yay! It’s all I need, though I may fiddle with a per day version:

Wednesday:
/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy -npc -nrd -iep “title,datetime” -b “-” eventsFrom:“date -v+wednesday” to:“date -v+wednesday”

and for all those coming here as noobs like I did, make sure there are no curly quotes in your terminal command! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get the output in one line – any guesses as to what I’m doing wrong?

can you post the command you are using?

Oh, crap… I really should have done that unprompted ;p

icalBuddy -npn -nrd -df "" -nc -b "- " -ps "|\t|" -po "datetime,title" -iep "datetime,title" eventsToday

Note that this is what I use right now in a bash script where I automatically put it in the clipboard for pasting - I’ve used the from: to: syntax when I was using it with templater.

Anyway, the command gives me one task on each line, but with templater they all get squished into one line.

Not that I’m an expert but can you try swapping out your -ps string for this:

I’m guessing you need a ‘\n’ new line somewhere…

I tried that. It didn’t work. It just adds an extra newline when I run it in the terminal, but both get removed in Obsidian.

Hi all,

I’ve integrated my Outlook calendr using templater and a python script:

7 Likes

whoa! impressive!

How did you do that?