Outline view in sidebar

My personal opinion is that this is best done in a plug-in, maybe first party but probably third party

I think @Silver liked this idea. This may happen sooner than later.

1 Like

I wrote a similar suggestion in plug-in ideas, but I referred to it as an outline rather than TOC…same idea tho.

1 Like

But it would also be very useful to save the reading position for each note.

That’s a different issue.

That would be soooooo nice. I sincerely hope she’ll get it done. I’ll be able to move the rest of my md files over to Obs.

Between the 10 votes for your plug-in idea and 10 for my feature request we have 20 votes. Indeed, the 2 requests should be merged.

Anyhow, as @WhiteNoise said, @Silver likes this idea, so hopefully it’ll get implemented soon, one way or the other.

1 Like

Since it will still be implemented as a plugin, I’ll merge it with the other post (that one is slightly older too). Do you mind?

1 Like

No, I don’t mind @Silver, I am very happy about it because that improves “visibility” of the user need.

1 Like

I think this can be merged with this topic Note outliner, can it?

I think building on this, what is needed is a way to quickly rearrange sections like typical outliners have. Say, in order to rearrange topics in an outline for an essay.

Microsoft Word can do this, RoamResearch and Dynalist do, of course, but also org-roam with plain text-based documents.

In the meantime, collapsing a section and then copying does copy all the children to that item.

Isn’t this even a default Typora feature, no CSS involved ?
It’s accessible with “Ctrl+Shift+1”, replacing the file panel (accessible with “Ctrl+Shift+2” or 3 depending on your choice of file tree vs file list).

I just love Typora so much

1 Like

You are absolutely right. I was thinking about the numbering of headers that requires a css. Anyway, I amended my comment as per your criticism.

I love Typora a lot too, I use it every day. What it does, it does well, but its features are limited compared with Obsidian. I want to get away from using 2 apps, so when Obs will offer ToC in a sidepane, and WYSIWYG later this year, I will transfer my Typora notes to Obs.

3 Likes

The same for me :slight_smile:

Today I had to do some serious outlining for a 30-page article my friends came up with. I did in Dynalist, works perfect. I now think that a Dynalist + Obsidian app or Obsidian + Dynalist plugin would be a killer app kicking the ass of Roam and others.

3 Likes

I’ll look at using Dynalist as well (my current outliner, OneNote, doesnt copy/paste very nicely, but it would be great to just have better outlining in my tool of choice - Obsidian.

One feature I really like from VSCode is the outliner. It allows me to quickly jump to any header in a markdown document. Is there any chance we can get a note outliner for Obsidian?

9 Likes

I think this can be merged with this topic Outline view in sidebar, can it?

I think building on this, what is needed is a way to quickly rearrange sections like typical outliners have. Microsoft Word can do this, RoamResearch does, of course, but also org-roam with plain text-based documents.

4 Likes

Yes it can. I did a search for “outliner” and I didn’t find anything. Thanks for pointing this out.

Added in v0.8.1 as a plugin.

8 Likes