Outline - Drag and drop headings doesn't work

Steps to reproduce

Open note with several headings and text underneath. Then open outline-pane and drag and drop a heading to another level in the outline. Also tried with all themes and plugins turned off.

Expected result

The heading and the text underneath move to another place in the document.

Actual result

Nothing happens. I can only drag and drop outside of the outline-pane to produce a link in the document. It doesn’t show any lines in the outline pane that indicates that I can move the heading anywhere.


  • Operating system: MacOS
  • Debug info: SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.5
    Installer version: v0.13.30
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.4.0: Fri Mar 18 00:45:05 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.101.4~15/RELEASE_X86_64 21.4.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: supporter
    Insider build toggle: on
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: Minimal
    Snippets enabled: 3
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 75
    Plugins enabled: 66
    1: Calendar
    2: Dataview
    3: Advanced Tables
    4: Templater
    5: Admonition
    6: Natural Language Dates
    7: Minimal Theme Settings
    8: Better Word Count
    9: Style Settings
    10: Periodic Notes
    11: Review
    12: Rollover Daily Todos
    13: Pandoc Plugin
    14: Advanced URI
    15: Typewriter Scroll
    16: Hotkey Helper
    17: Banners
    18: Collapse All
    19: Advanced Mobile Toolbar
    20: Contextual Typography
    21: Remember cursor position
    22: Map of Content
    23: File Explorer Note Count
    24: Automatically reveal active file
    25: Fullscreen mode plugin
    26: Excalidraw
    27: QuickAdd
    28: Buttons
    29: Supercharged Links
    30: MetaEdit
    31: Vantage - Advanced search builder
    32: Obsidian42 - BRAT
    33: txt as md
    34: Advanced new file
    35: Smarter Markdown Hotkeys
    36: Sortable
    37: Reveal Active File Button
    38: Local File Interface
    39: File Info Panel
    40: Tasks
    41: Auto Note Mover
    42: BibNotes Formatter
    43: Auto Link Title
    44: Better File Link
    45: Smart Typography
    46: Tabout
    47: Homepage
    48: Front Matter Tag Wizard
    49: Emoji Toolbar
    50: Customizable Page Header and Title Bar
    51: Plugin Changelogs
    52: Sliding Panes (Andy’s Mode)
    53: Markdown Table Editor
    54: Full Calendar
    55: Workbench
    56: Creases
    57: Global Hotkeys
    58: Lapel
    59: Hider
    60: Zotero Desktop Connector
    61: Cycle through Panes
    62: Day Planner
    63: Hover Editor
    64: Mind Map
    65: Enhancing Mindmap
    66: Advanced Slides

Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

I’ll just realized that restarting the app after setting safe mode on helped. So I return when I find out what plugin is causing this.

v0.13.31 had a major Electron update, so it might help to do a fresh installation with an up-to-date installer.


1 Like

I can’t remember the name of it, but there was a helpful post on here that mentioned the strategy of reenabling half the plugins, then testing and repeatedly doing this narrowing it down until you find the culprit. In some cases it may be faster than doing it one by one.

Good luck.

I found the plugin that caused it. I will instantly write to the plugin developer on Github! Thank you all!!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.