Organizing The Quran in Obsidian

Meta Post - Organizing Quran Notes

I am writing this post as inspired by a previous post regarding Organizing The Bible in Obsidian. A few users who contributed to that post were also interested in organizing the Quran in Obsidian.

I am hoping for this to be a separate space for those specifically interested in ways of organizing their Quran notes in Obsidian.

As user input increases regarding different tips and approaches, I will try to summarize the highlights of users’ comments in this post.

There are several parts and approaches to this topic, which include (but are not limited to) what I have listed below. I’m curious to hear if anyone is using any of the resources and/or approaches mentioned here and what other resources and ideas people have to share. I’m still starting on this journey of organizing the Quran in Obsidian myself, so I would love to also hear from those who have already made some progress.

Learning Quranic Arabic for the beginner

• The YouTube channel Arabic101 and its website arabic101.org are amazing resources that I would suggest for anyone starting their journey into the Quran and its original language, Arabic.

Writing Quranic Arabic in Obsidian

Online Quran Resources for the original Arabic, Translations, etc.

• Quran.com is one of the very first Quran websites listed on Google, displaying each chapter of the Quran verse by verse in an easy to read manner with several translations to choose from.
  • Tanzil.net is a great resource for downloading and perusing the Quran in the original Arabic and in several English and non-English translations:
  • The Quranic Arabic Corpus features a deeper dive into the grammatical syntax and meaning of the Quran with a word by word analysis that is great for further study.

Helpful Apps for Searching and Studying the Quran

Micro and macro approaches to the Quran

• Levels of note creation; create a note for each:

• Word root
      • Original Arabic word root
      • Word root translation
    • Word
      • Original Arabic word
      • Translated word
    • Verse (ayah)
      • Original Arabic verse
      • Translated verse
    • Chapter (surah)
    • Page
    • Pair of pages
    • Juz’ (1/30th of the quran, or ~20 pages)
  • Levels of connecting notes:

• Link each word root <-to-> words using that word root
    • Link each word <-to-> verses containing that word
    • Embed/link each verse <-in/to-> the chapter and/or page containing that verse
    • Embed/link each page <-in/to-> the appropriate pair of pages note
    • Embed/link each page or pair of pages <-in/to-> the appropriate Juz’ and/or chapter note

Incorporating Quranic audio

• Include authentic recordings of the following in the original Arabic:
    • Word root
    • Word
    • Verse
    • Chapter
    • Juz’
    • Page
    • Pair of pages
  • Use the built-in Audio recorder plugin to recite and test how your pronunciation compares with authentic recordings.

Designing a reading/memorization/review schedule in Obsidian

• Use the calendar plugin, tasks, and daily notes to keep track of your daily progress in reading, reviewing, and memorizing the Quran.

Memorization approaches

• Make flashcards in Obsidian and test yourself, whether it’s on the meanings of words, what the next verse is, or your own custom trivia.
  • Also, you may want to keep track of identical or similar phrases across the Quran as you read and make separate notes for them.
21 Likes

Great initiative! Jazakallah!

1 Like

I want to share how I create my Quran notes.

My notes creation is one verse one note. So each verse has its own note, and also each chapter has its own note.

(Sorry, they’re in Indonesian)

The steps are :

1. Create a main note (name it “Quran”), then create lists of Quran chapters.
  2. Give these the chapters wikilink brackets to convert them become a note. (see my video to know how to do this).
  3. Open the each link of chapters, so it creates a note with the chapter name. Then make lists of the verses and also give them wikilink brackets with multiple cursors to make more faster.

Here’s an example how I make them: 2021-10-12 06-52-30.mkv - pCloud

To make them, it took an hour or less to me. Now you’re able to reference Quran verses/chapters with wikilink auto complete:

Though, I don’t transfer all verses words to my vault, because it’ll be tedious. I just transfer some verses that I study.

I study Quran thematically, so I also made a note that contain themes that I study.

I also did same thing to study Quran words (root).

Also I want to share a good resources that I used to learn Arabic:

10 Likes

Thank you @Salamander23 , this is really very useful.
I appreciate your time and efforts. We should develop this further and create a Quran vault and share it with those want to benefit.

@jokysatria These are very useful, thank you

Can we develop this further and create a Quran vault and share it with those who want to benefit?

1 Like

Sure, we can use Github for developing Quran vault. Hopefully I can make it on the end of year, insyaAllah.

But if there’s other who want do it first, I’m good.

Hello everyone!

I’ve created the initial version of the Quran vault (only Arabic for now), it’s inspired by all the examples mentioned here.

You can find the repository here with instructions on how to use it: https://github.com/AmmarCodes/obsidian-quran-vault.

Please let me know if you need any help setting this up or if you have any other concerns.

It’s the first iteration, there are a lot of things that can be improved on.

4 Likes

Great initiative … Keep up the good work!!!

Great stuff here - @Salamander23 → How do you switch the Arabic fonts in Obsidian? Mine are way too small.

I use Ipad pro, how can I use multiple cursor it seem doesn’t work with “shift+control”.

Ho to extract zip content into inside the Obsidian hidden directory

I use multiple cursors on PC, so yeah I don’t know how to use multiple cursors on Ipad. :pray:

My approach is pretty similar to the -nicely done- Bible counterpart. The only extra part is a Farsi translation that’s on top of it (since my Arabic isn’t that strong). The translation appears as a tooltip as you hover over a verse so that it wouldn’t take up too much space.

Animated ver:

image| 50%

Here are the resources for anyone who’s interested in this format:

3 Likes

Just curious if anyone has a MOC of Islam. Not sure how to organize my notes from lectures I listen to.

salam
vaghtetoon be kheir
chetor mishe in halat ke ba mouse rooy neveshte miri va farsi miad ro faal kard?

Here’s how to do it. If you had any problem with the installation, feel free to send me a message on either here or Telegram.

1. Download the zip file from Github.
  2. Extract the contents of the “quran” folder inside your Obsidian vault. (If you want the Farsi translation, copy “quran/fa” inside your vault)
  3. Move the contents of the “snippets” folder to “/.obsidian/snippets” inside your vault. (Since you are looking for the Farsi version, just copy “verse-line-rtl.css” and ignore the other .css file)
  4. Finally, inside Obsidian go to Settings → Appearance and enable the snippet you just copied.
3 Likes

I use the following script to pull from the web into md files, if it is of interest to anyone. GitHub - ashfaqfarooqui/Quran-md

It might just be me, but the download doesnt contain any files?

Hey everyone

I just published a package quran-obsidian-template that could be of help to everyone here.

It creates the following folder structure:

Quranic Guidance
| People
| - Prophets
|
| Surahs
| - 1 Al-Fatihah (The Opener)
| - 114 An-Nas (Mankind)
|
| Themes
| - Angels
| - God
| - Man
|
| Names Of Allah.md

with each Ayat and its English translation on a separate page, grouped by Surah like so:

Surahs
| - 113 Al-Falaq (The Daybreak)
|   - 113-1.md
| - 114 An-Nas (Mankind)
|   - 114-1.md
|   - 114-2.md

It also has the 99 names of Allah with meaning and backlinks to their occurrences in the verses.

Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes