Option to "Trim" Sidebar Items

Use case or problem

In sidebars, navigation and readability is sometimes difficult. It’s challenging to tell sections apart in the Outline sidebar when a section’s title is too long to fit on a single line.

Proposed solution

It would probably be a simple matter to implement, and I’d just make a plugin myself if I were more confident in my JavaScript/CSS coding abilities, which are severely lacking at the moment.

There is already an outstanding plugin called “Advanced Appearance” that has implemented this feature (I think it’s an option called “Trim Sidebar Lines” or something similar), but in order to use it, you have to enable all the plugin’s features, and because it changes the whole appearance, you might need to give up your favorite theme to use it.

The feature would simply either highlight each entry in a sidebar in some way to make the boundaries between items more noticeable. This could be done either by adding a bullet point to the beginning of each line and/or do what Advanced Appearance does, which is simply to limit each item to a single line by shortening it and adding ellipsis (…) to the end, or for those who are really into graphics, fade out the line at the end like some apps do. As long as the item is limited to a single line it doesn’t matter to me.

Current workaround (optional)

There is a plugin called “Advanced Appearance”, that implements this feature in a limited way, and is perfect for my needs, at least. But in order to use the feature, you need to use the whole plugin. That is, there’s no way to only use this option and ignore the other alterations to appearance.

Thank You

With all the excellent feature requests, and the long hours I’m sure Obsidian’s development team and other plugin/theme authors put in all the time, I understand if this feature is not implemented any time soon. Either way, I would like to thank anyone who reads this request for your time and interest, and wish you the best in all your endeavors, and a safe healthy year! :slight_smile: