Option to toggle between light & dark mode within Export as image menu in Canvas

We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before making a new feature request. If your request is very similar to an existing one, consider liking it and/or making a comment rather than making a new one. Once you’ve searched and determined that this is a new request, delete this line.

Use case or problem

I work in dark mode, but occasionally like to export an image in light mode. The export to pdf function for notes defaults to light mode, but the Export as image menu in Canvas (which is terrific!) seems to default to the base colour scheme. I’d like to be able to Export as image from Canvas without changing my base colour scheme first.

Proposed solution

A toggle option within the Canvas Export as Image menu to switch the export between dark and light mode.

Current workaround (optional)

I currently change the Base colour scheme in the Appearance menu before exporting an image.

Related feature requests (optional)

1 Like

A possible workaround: if your whole system is in dark mode (not just Obsidian), you can set Obsidian to follow the system setting and then use the system quick toggle to switch when needed. You may have to add the quick toggle — I’m on Mac and iOS, and I think I added the dark mode switch to the control center (or whatever it’s called, the drop-down in the upper right of the screen that’s full of switches).

Is this still ongoing? It would be great if you could set the export mode in the canvas plug-in preferences.

I guess that most of the time, people don’t need dark-mode-exported images but rather the traditional ones (i.e. black type, light background).