Option to Hide Tab Bar When Only One Tab

Use case or problem

I often view one document at a time, during which the tab bar duplicating the title of the document is redundant and a bit of an eye-sore.

Proposed solution

Provide preference setting to hide tab bar when there’s only one tab in a window. Personally I’d be fine instantiating the second tab with a keyboard command.

13 Likes

Other than filing an Obsidian feature request here in the forum (there is a template), the shimmering focus theme does that out-of-the box. Quite nice.

3 Likes

I would love this! I don’t use tabs personally.

Furthermore, I would love an option to move the title bar to the window header, like in previous iterations of Obsidian.

1 Like

I would love an option to move the title bar to the window header, like in previous iterations of Obsidian.

Have you tried changing the window frame style to Obsidian or Native under Settings>Appearance>Advanced?

great idea. i don´t use tabs. i tend to not close them an everything gets chaotic… i prefer panes, but you are correct about the “one tab redundance”

2 Likes

I would also love this. It takes up quite a bit of space…

+1 to this!

I don’t like the shimmering focus theme. By any chance there are other themes that also do this?

There might be. I only use shimmering focus on desktop, things on mobile.

I need this. I always have multiple panes open and the tab bars take a lot of space. But I still use tabs, so hiding is not an option. The auto hider is not working well either.

If someone knows a way to hide the tab bar individually per pane or .md file I would appreciate the knowledge.