Option to copy/paste graph colors

Use case or problem

I want to make a certain subset of nodes one color, and another subset of nodes a gradient of the same color.

I create a color group, choose the color, switch to the HEX view, and copy the code of the color.

Then I create another group, switch to the HEX view, and when I try to paste the code of the color, nothing happens. I tried to paste the code from a document, still nothing. The field does not seem to support pasting, so I have to write the code manually.

Proposed solution

Copy/Paste should be enabled for the HEX color field. There could also be a button to copy the color in the color-picker window.

Additionally, the selected color mode (RGB, HSL or HEX) should be remembered. Currently, every time you open the color window of a group, the RGB mode is always displayed.

4 Likes

I think this request is mistitled (and mistagged).

I suggest: “Color picker - allow to copy/paste HEX color”

Missing feature affects any place where the Obsidian color picker is used - all built-in features and community plugins that use it. It is very annoying!

I’m surprised there are not many complaints on this.

1 Like

After further investigation I can see that Obsidian simply uses standard input type=“color”, and the issue even happens in Chromium browsers (tried in Edge).

I can’t google any reports of the same issue, which is weird - the impact should be much bigger than just Obsidian users.

Either this should be reported and tracked as a Chromium issue somewhere, or Obsidian would have to bring a different color picker as a workaround, and the latter could be problematic to do consistently across the app.

1 Like

It would be a great QoL improvement for me if Obsidian devs could replace the colour picker with a non-buggy one.

As much as Windows’s default colour picker is a retro nightmare, at least with that one I can use the PasteColor tool to automatically paste hex codes as RGB :confused: In Obsidian’s picker no paste seems to work regardless of colour system.

I’m surprised too that almost no one else seems to be bothered by having to memorise 6 digits each time we want to input colours in any feature or plugin :slightly_frowning_face: