Open PDFs and images in external app

I may be missing something, but is there a way to open attached PDFs and images in an external app? I’m used to being able to do this in Evernote.

Things I have tried

I found this discussion from last year, which mentions a setting for PDFs, but I can’t seem to find that setting.

What I’m trying to do

Open an attached image or PDF in another app

1 Like

You should be able to right click on the PDF and then choose *Open in Default App

You can do the same thing on the PDF in the file browser view:

Thanks, that helps!

However, when I drag and drop a PDF or image it embeds and displays them in the note. PDFs are displayed in the in-note PDF viewer, instead of as a link. Is there any way to open these in an external viewer, or at least reveal them in navigation?

1 Like

I don’t know if there is a way to click the embedded items to have them open in the default viewer. I don’t have need to try to open images/PDFs from my notes in the default app. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come by and confirm/deny if that could be done.

Do you just want to see the links to the pdf? After dragging and dropping remove the “!” at the beginning of the link and it will only show the link. Like dugdun said right clicking on the link or in your folder view will give you the option to open in default app. Also if the pdf opens in the internally the 3 dots next to the X close button also has options to open in default app or show in system explorer.

Switch to Source Mode to see the embed code. The right-click menu on that includes Reveal in navigation, Open in default app, and Show in system explorer.

Ok, that seems like the easiest approach: Use editing view (with or without live preview), move the cursor to reveal the link and then use the contextual menu to open in in default app.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions!

Hi,
And what about opening pdfs and images in external apps on android devices? The button doesn’t appear on mobile devices…
(i’m a little late to the party. I wasn’t sure if it was necessary to open my own topic since this one isn’t that old)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.