Open Obsidian, no application windows -- just menu bar

I searched the forums.

I tried Obsidian a few times, opened a folder full of markdown files I was working on.

Then I opened the Help [notebook?]. That worked fine.

The windows went away somehow, all I have on my macOS is the top menu bar menu options, no windows. Nothing I do seems to restore the editor window.

Suggestions/questions welcome.
Thanks.

1 Like

If you didn’t tried it yet, try to quit fully Obsidian (if normal way doesn’t work try to use Activity Monitor to force quit)

(I don’t know if it will work, but sometimes it’s helps with apps on mac)

I’m moving this to “Resolved help” since there hasn’t been no replies for 3 days. Let me know if you have further questions, in which case we can move it back.

Thanks for understanding!

I used Force Quit to close it… but the problem persists. I just tried it again.

Is it by design that you can’t create a new “Main Window” somehow? There’s no command-N for New, or command-M for Main window, or…

If there are logs I can share, please let me know where to find them.

Thanks.

There’s no empty state of the app, so to speak. Or maybe the switch vault interface should be the empty state?

If you can’t see the application window, there’s no way to bring up the switch vault interface right now though, unfortunately.

I’m moving this to “Resolved help” since there hasn’t been no replies for 3 days. Let me know if you have further questions, in which case we can move it back.

Thanks for understanding!

I currently have the same issue, there is only the icon on the taskbar but when click on it there is nothing happen. Switching between application window, I still can see all the stuff is being there but found out no solution yet.Annotation 2020-10-10 005449

1 Like

also met the same problem today, and I’m using Win10.

Do you use second monitor? Sometimes apps remember wrong location

I am only a user but I have a few ideas:

1. Make copy of your notes folder
    2a) Move the folder with notes to other location and restart obsidian
    2b) If this doesn’t work to delete some of Obsidian configuration files (they should be in hidden folder starting with . in your vault folder, you need first to choose option in explorer to show hidden folder to be able to see this folder)

The same thing is happening for me. I’m using macOS. I have a menu bar with Edit, View and Help. Absolutely no windows. Nothing I’ve done seems to open anything. Obsidian is effectively and literally useless in this state. I can’t open my vault or see any of my notes.

I installed the latest version of Obsidian and my vault opens again. Phew!