Open link in new pane in edit mode?

Is there any way to open a link in a new pane (tab) in Edit mode?

I have tried to search and it seems like there was a feature request for something like this a good while ago. But could not find any follow-up.

It would be extremely useful. I do some of my writing in Obsidian now, and often have links in my draft for sources, things to work on, etc. But when I click on them (Cmd+click) while writing, then I lose the actual writing pane and have to navigate back.

2 Likes

I believe CMD or Control click will open a file in a new pane for you. You can set open in Edit mode in preferences, and it should be default.

1 Like

Maybe I was ambiguous – I want to open a link in a new pane when I’m in edit mode already.
So, I’m editing text A, which has a link to B – and I want B to open in a new tab (whether in edit or preview, I can indeed set in preferences).

Cmd+click opens a link in a new tab if you’re in preview mode. In edit mode, that just opens the link in the current window (without Cmd you edit the link).

That would be Cmd+Shift+click.

5 Likes

Ah indeed! Many thanks!!!

(And I thought I tried all these combinations, but apparently not.)

Is there a way to change the CMD+SHIFT+ENTER hotkey to CMD+ENTER to open a link in edit mode in a new pane? It seems silly that there are two different hotkeys depending on the mode you’re in. I may be the only one, but opening in a new pane is my default. It would be nice if something simple like CMD+ENTER had the same function whether you’re selecting a note from the side panel, opening a link in edit, or opening a link in preview.

Also, it would be nice to not open more than a single instance of a note. If I have a note already open, it would be nice to switch to that pane, but not re-open the same pane.

Anyways, just some petty gripes. Overall I love the Obsidian experience and am excited to see how it grows and develops to something even better. Thanks for everyone’s hard work. You all are the real MVPs.

10 Likes

+1, I actually have cmd+shift+enter already mapped due to some Bear-era conditioning. Would be great to be able to change it