Use a Linux-based operating system.
- Have a PDF file in the Vault
- Have Evince or Okular as a default PDF opening application
- In Obsidian, right click on the PDF and open it in the default app
This makes Obsidian stop responding until the external application has been closed.
I’ve managed to circumvent this by creating a new desktop shortcut for evince with the
-w flag added and setting it as my default. This change detaches the children process and releases Obsidian when the default app is used to open the PDF.
I expected to be able to use both, Obsidian and Okular/Evince.
I could only use the PDF reader, Obsidian was stuck until I quit the PDF viewer.
- Operating system: Arch Linux, i3wm
- Obsidian version: v0.12.19
strace for obsidian shows this syscall if it’s of any use:
141495 execve("/usr/bin/evince", ["/usr/bin/evince", “/home/nenad-home/Dropbox/SecondBrain/Software Engineering/Leadership/Books/book.pdf”], 0x564f598b93a0 /* 50 vars */) = 0 <0.000252>