Open and edit standalone Markdown files

Use case or problem

Edit Markdown files that do not belong in any vault, from Obsidian.

Proposed solution

Hidden directory in the vault, with a symlink or copy of the file getting created there upon open and destroyed on close. All plugins would then be available (I’m thinking “editing” plugins, such as Advanced Tables, Templater, etc…)

34 Likes

Adding my vote to this! I imagine there could be a global set of settings and plugins for this.

1 Like

I feel like this would be particularly nice for mobile >.>

Yes, please! I want to be able to open files from within Obsidian, or within the Mac Finder – whichever seems most convenient at the moment.

1 Like

This would open up some alfred workflow possibilities :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love this

YES, PLEASE.
I’ve been looking for something to take over Typora, and I absolutely love Obsidian’s real time rendering, and really want it to be my one-stop-shop for markdown editing too.

2 Likes

I have written a program that implements the proposed solution for Windows. One difference is that it doesn’t delete the symbolic link (actually junction) when closing Obsidian, but you can limit the maximum number of directory links (10 by default).

See VaultRecent/Recent mode.

2 Likes

For macOS, this script does approximately the same thing. Installation & configuration is described on that page. The link from inside the vault to the file is not auto-deleted, but you can do that by hand if you want to.

1 Like