Onyx Boox + Obsidian Appreciation Theme

Thx for your quick reply.
Do you prefer writing on the Tab Ultra C instead of your regular laptop?
And how often do you use it naked, vs with the keyboard stand?

It seems the Tab Mini doesn’t need a keyboard stand and you can type/write with the on-screen keyboard. But for the Tab Ultra probably the keyboard accesorry is essential.

I prefer the Tab Ultra C for handwritten notes, idea diagrams, brainstorming, and other creative tasks. Any task that’s pen focused is a great fit for the tablet. I also like to use it to type quick emails or short notes; the keyboard cover is fine for tasks like that.

I prefer my laptop for longform typing, information management, software development, formal diagrams, and similar tasks. My laptop has keys and shortcuts that the Ultra keyboard lacks, and of course the laptop is more powerful and performant than the tablet.

I only use the keyboard cover when I’m planning to type something, because the keyboard adds a lot of weight to an already heavy tablet. Most of the time I’m using the tablet to read, or do something creative with the pen, so I either use the folio cover (which can also be used as a stand) or no cover at all.

The keyboard isn’t essential for most of my use cases. I’m glad to have it when I want to type up an email or draft some text, but most of the time it stays in my bag.

Besides the physical keyboard, the Boox tablets support many different Android on-screen keyboards and they work fine for entering passwords or short stretches of text. Many of the keyboards also support voice dictation, which is a handy way to enter text quickly.

1 Like

Have you had a different 10" e-ink device before? I have a rM2 now and I wonder how the writing compares.

Have you used the tablet for reading in bed? Is it comfortable or too big or too heavy?

So you have both covers? Is there a good third party protective cover that comes with a stand? Something like the Logitech Combo Touch for the iPad would be awesome!

Does the on board fingerprint reader support LastPass or Bitwarden? And does it work as intended?

Again, thanks a lot for taking time to reply. :slight_smile:

I also have a Boox Note Air 2, which was my main tablet before I got the Ultra C. The writing experiences are similar. I haven’t spent much time with a Remarkable, so I don’t know how similar or different they are.

The tablet is too large and heavy for me to lay on my back and hold it above my head for long. I do sometimes lay on my stomach propped up on a pillow and have the tablet laying on the mattress in front of me – that works fine.

Yes, I have both the folio and keyboard covers. I usually use the folio because it’s lighter and can act as a stand. The keyboard cover is very nice, and holds the pen in place with a flap, but adds a lot of weight to the tablet.

I haven’t looked at any third party cases for the Ultra C, sorry.

The fingerprint reader is integrated into the power button and works great for unlocking the tablet after startup. I rarely have any issues unlocking the tablet with the fingerprint reader.

LastPass doesn’t recognize the fingerprint reader as a biometric. I set up a PIN for LastPass, which is not ideal but still easier than typing my full password.

I haven’t tried Bitwarden with the tablet.

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: It’s fun to talk about our toys. I hope my experience is helpful to you as you decide what to invest in.

Do you still use the Note Air 2? Or is the benefit of color on the Tab Ultra C that greater?
I hope Boox will release a Note Air C soon.

I think even a Kindle will get too heavy carrying above your head for too long. I usually read sitting in bed, or laying on my side. Have you tried that?

That’s a shame. But once you’re in your LastPass vault, does the tablet recognize password fields and fills them it automatically?

Yes, learning about these details helps a lot, thx.
I lean towards a Boox Tab Ultra C, but wonder whether a Tab Mini C would also be good enough. The Mini would be better for reading because of the size and weight. But also for writing the Ultra has the camera bump, which makes a cover almost obligatory…
But the keyboard cover is nice and makes it possible to do some light productivity and write emails/Obsidian notes/etc more easily.

Maybe I should order both and test them out. Or wait for the Nova Air C like mentioned before. First world problems…

You know, I haven’t even turned on the Note Air 2 since I got the Ultra C. For me, the value of color outweighs the Air 2’s lighter weight and better contrast.

Yep, LastPass fills in password fields for me in apps and web pages.

Yes, that’s true. I’m not a fan of the camera bump. I always use at least the folio cover if I put the Ultra C on a table, so that it lays flat.

It sounds like your choice might hinge on your primary use case for the tablet. If you think you’ll mostly use it to consume media, then the Mini C might be a better fit. But if you think you’ll be mostly using it to create or type content, then the Ultra C might be a better choice.

Good luck! :smiley:

1 Like