Onyx Boox + Obsidian Appreciation Theme

I have both a Note 2 (not Note Air 2, a Note 2…which is ancient-years-old in Boox years, annoyingly) and a Poke 3. I recently 3d-printed a clip-on device stand for my K380 keyboard to create a nice portable writing platform—basically the e-ink typewriter setup I’ve dreamed of having for literally almost a decade. I haven’t had much chance to play with it yet due to a recent move, but experimenting with that setup (including finding a way to cross-sync its Obsidian vault in Google Drive with my main vault in iCloud) is one of my goals this summer. (I also use iA Writer on it.) I’ll do my best to report back with how things go!

3 Likes

Which setting makes the text “less horribly bloopy”?

ooo, please do! I have the Note 2 as well, if I recall [it’s been so long since I used mine I’ve forgotten what it’s called… I had to apply to grad school and I just haven’t had the time or desire to read honestly]
Getting a good Calibre / Zotero / Obsidian / Boox / OneDrive workflow is what I’ve been all about from the start, but I haven’t been able to get it quite right.

1 Like

Hi, can you take handwritten notes on obsidian on the boox? I’m new to obsidian and boox, but I’m doing a PhD and thought the boox would help me to read papers and take notes, and also heard very good comments about obsidian. I’m trying different flows to get my work done better and faster. All tips are appreciated

1 Like

Glad I found this thread!

I am really tempted by the Boox Ultra Tab. The refresh rate on the screen is insanely good based on what I’ve seen on YouTube. I have people watching videos with no ghosting, which is a huge achievement.

The problem is, I have been burnt by Boox before. Has anyone pulled the trigger on this?

Just done so - my Note 2 finally broke. Currently set up with Syncthing and Obisidian, amongst other apps. Gettign to grips with the mobile version of Obisidian, but initial signs are all good. Typing this on it!

I’m trying to decide between the Ultra Tab and the Note Air 2 Plus right now for running obsidian on. I primarily need a device for highlighting/annotating PDFs and other ebooks but the idea of being able to flow this all into Obsidian on an e-ink device is just too tempting. Anyone running Obsidian on the Note Air 2 or 2 plus? How is it?

I have a Note Air using Obsidian, and the experience isn’t too bad. So I expect later models will only get better.

Just don’t expect the plugins like Excalidraw or Canvas (when it hits mobile) to be very responsive.

Two weeks in, how are you feeling about the purchase? Does it feel like something you want to use regularly?

I knew the Onyx decides pretty well, so have been no surprises for me. I love the device, and it’s a significant upgrade on my old Note2. Am using it daily to read and take notes.

That’s great to hear. I’m very tempted. Any chance you’ve tested the Excalidraw plugin or a 3rd party drawing and handwriting app like Nebo? I don’t have high hopes that they would be usable but I’d love to be surprised.

I’m getting a Tab Ultra C - so looking forward to integrating this into my use of Obsidian. Glad I found this thread. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Wow, thanks. My Note Air 2 is sitting in my drawer as I just couldn’t get used to using it. May have to give it more of a go.

Honestly,
I bought mine for reading PDFs and note taking but just never remember to use it. I just prefer my workflow I have on my Mac Mini and the feel of pen and paper. Any other reading I do are novels and I just naturally reach for my Kindle PW for that.

How did it work out? Curious about these!

I’m using Obsidian on my Boox Tab Ultra C, and it works great – especially with the keyboard cover.

If you have specific questions, I’m happy to try to answer them.

4 Likes

found this great templater addition for obsidian and boox

Hi Craig,

How do go around the written notes? Can you save those directly into Obsidian? Or import as PDF?

Would you recommend going for the Tab Ultra C or Tab Mini C? I think the latter is better for reading on bed and casual use.

What about the camera on the Tab Ultra C? Is it essential? Or could you scan a document once in a while also on your smartphone and import to Obsidian?

I take my written notes using the built-in notepad app (which is quite good). To bring them into Obsidian I export them to a PDF document, and then put the document in my vault. It’s easy to embed the PDF in an Obsdidian note, even a particular page, with an embed like the following:

![[Document.pdf#page=3]]

I would say it depends on your use case.

My primary uses for the tablet are writing, drawing, reading PDFs and comics, and browsing email or the web. For me, the 10" Tab Ultra C is great for these tasks, but its weight makes me generally want to hold it with two hands or have it on the table or a stand.

The folio and keyboard cases can both put the tablet into a readable angle without having to hold it. The larger screen makes it easy to use Obsidian too, even in split screen with another app.

However, if your primary use is reading ebooks or websites, or in bed, you might prefer the smaller Mini; it’s lighter and easier to use one-handed.

I’ve only used rarely used the camera on the Tab Ultra C. For example, I used it this weekend to take a picture of some sheet music so I could have it on my music stand for a performance. The camera is fine, and it was convenient in the moment.

But I don’t consider it an essential part of the tablet, and I don’t think I’d miss it much if it weren’t there. You can certainly take photos on your phone and quickly copy them to your tablet via Bluetooth.

1 Like