Online user group talks & discussions

Thanks xnhp!

I’ll post it on #general in a couple days :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback! Regarding the first point, there is kind of already a way to give a more free-form input for the format question (in the “Other…” section):

For point two, I’ll definitely add a name section to allow following-up :slight_smile:

Oh, I was talking about an input field to further specify the topic. For instance:

• Topic: “Flobbling Flubbs for optimal rebobble”
  • Additional Info: “The purpose of this talk is to introduce people from outside the field to the problem of flubb-flobbling. Of particular practical relevance is the rebobble measure, first defined by Henserich in 1857.”

Thanks a lot for the effort!

Ahh gotcha! I’ll add that now

What do you all think is the best way to vote on a topic?
I tried to see if an reddit-style upvote system could be implemented in Google Sheets, but this seems difficult/not-doable.
We could select a few topics from the spreadsheet, and make a straw poll to see which topic is chosen for the next talk?

I suggest we make a forum thread and people vote with hearts. Wouldd have the advantage of extra visibility, ability to add more details, and a strawpoll link would have to be shared somewhere anyway.

2 Likes

Awesome, I’m down with that. Do you think we should just have one Obsidian Talks voting thread where we can have a new vote each week (possibly delete old posts to reduce clutter). Or we could made a new post for each vote

Another option would be to do it with polls!

We could add one per talk:

My awesome talk
  • I’m interested

0 voters

Seems we can also add dates (not sure if it’s possible to use them to filter or something):

2021-03-30T16:00:00Z

Edit: Testing what happens to poll results if I edit my post

1 Like

Sweet, that looks pretty good. The nice thing about the date embedding is that it can display different timezones.

:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

This is perfect!!! Someone just needs to setup the voting post, and we can start adding different talks there.

In a way, this could replace the “Offer to give a talk” form. Users could just set up a poll there? This reduces the number of steps, but sort of separates the different ways of doing things… thoughts?
Perhaps both are fine? We could also make the voting post only editable by organisers, but that feels wrong too :joy:

1 Like

I’m gonna set something up tomorrow if everyone is fine with that? I’ll add the existing submissions to a new voting post

Here is the voting post: Obsidian Talks - Vote for the next Talk :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

CC: @xnhp, @argentum, @Dextyrio, @I-d-as, @edward.peters

3 Likes

Thanks a lot again. I was going to follow up today :wink:

I’ll DM you more precise descriptions for my offered talks / workshops so you can add them to the forum post, ok?

1 Like

Discord user Cat made a good point. How should we go about letting people offer to speak on a previously requested topic?
I could set up a forum post similar to the voting one where users could volunteer? Thoughts?

To be honest I think we don’t need a structured/organised way for that unless we encounter the case that there are 5+ people wanting to speak about the same topic which I find highly unlikely to happen. If it is only a few people, then these things can be sorted out ad-hoc in PMs.

1 Like

Regarding many people volunteering for the same talk, I agree that it could be sorted out between those volunteering.

But for users to volunteer, in general, do you think a similar forum post will work?

That’s what I meant aswell. If there is a requested topic and 2-3 people see it and say “hey, I want to speak about this”, then these (together with one of us) can sort this out.

On a general note, It seems like the “Introduction to dataview” talk is the one receiving the most interest and I think we should focus on scheduling that one first?

1 Like

Ahh I see now, this will work fine I think.

Haha I see that too :sweat: I am fine with doing the first one. Next week is very busy for me, so I would only be able to do it on the weekend (April 10th or 11th).

2 Likes

Whatever suits you best, I’d say. There’s no rush.

1 Like

Regarding scheduling an actual date: Do we really want to poll for a date? Or should we just go ahead and pick a date that we think works best generally?

Maybe we could do both: Add a link to a when2meet poll to the voting. People can fill this one as well but don’t have to. Then we can try to respect these submissions when picking a date but we do not rely on it.

1 Like

I think planning around time zones will get tricky indeed! I like the idea of offering a when2meet link below the polls in case the presenter wants to take it into account. If we use when2meet we can also get a rough idea of the “date” (day of the week) it might be easier for most interested people to attend.

1 Like