One vault vs multiple vaults

I guess if there are no sensible or useful links between two or more different areas of interest there’s no value putting them in one vault and it may even confuse things. For example I’m learning French and have a separate vault for that. The words, definitions, verb tables in there are essentially “random words” that do not need linking to the rest of my stuff and would only cause confusion!

1 Like

I use one universal vault. I have “archived” vaults that will get refactored into my new vault.

In your example I just might do the same, but I think there are very few exceptions. The problem with that logic is you assume you can judge the existence of a valuable overlap between field beforehand. Experience tells everyone that if you continue to explore and engage yourself in two separate fields, you will start to notice links between them. As long as those fields are in separate vaults those links can’t happen in the way Obsidian makes it possible. The power of one vault is you can get maximally surprised by your own thinking.

1 Like