Obsidian with OneDrive without indexing

Platform

[x] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.4.1

Hello,

I have a simple solution for the OneDrive problem on iPhones, in order for obsidian to be able to index things for links to work, just don’t support links on phone till it is possible.
It is much better to have partial support than none at all.

Most of the time I just want to access my recipes or read my math notes, I don’t care about links too much in those cases.

So, with this, we would still be able to write and render our notes as we can on desktops, just the links won’t be functional.

This is not the reason that OneDrive is not supported on iOS. The reason is that OneDrive hasn’t implemented iOS file provider APIs fully, so it is not trivial for Obsidian or other apps to add entire folders from OneDrive.

1 Like

Well, yes, that is inconvenient to say the least, but I think it is still possible to just select a single file. With the goal that we get the rendering at least. Hence a usual usage would then probably look like:

1. open obsidian app
  2. click open file
  3. that would probably open the native file explorer
  4. user selects file he/she wants to open
  5. result is that in obsidian we have now opened and rendered our document

I guess editing should work also. Wouldn’t something like that be possible?
Or is OneDrive’s implementation of the API even more limited?

Unfortunately, no, Obsidian is not designed to operate on standalone markdown files in the sense you describe. Obsidian opens vaults, not files.

To look at a file within Obsidian, it’s best to import it into a vault.

Without actually know the code deep down, I would suspect that the auto-save of Obsidian could also be an issue when working with various cloud based storage, as maybe that interface wouldn’t keep up with syncing files as often as Obsidian would like to save files. And then you’d have race conditions.

Even worse, if either service uses some metaphors/flags which the other part is not aware of, then things could really go astray. It’s not just a matter of saving the file, when using cloud storage.

Disclaimer: I don’t know the Obsidian code, so I might be wrong, but I do know a bit about storage (and coding) in general

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.