Obsidian_to_Anki v3.4.0 - a feature-rich plugin that allows you to add notes from Obsidian to Anki

There was a bug preventing Obsidian to show third-party plugins. I thought your plugin was available for manual install only (and that is difficult for beginners). After some tries, the bug vanished and I was able to install your plugin.
Great, great work. Your plugin works perfectly.
Thank you for taking the time to develop it.

1 Like

@Pseudonium
I have raised a few requests on Github, can you have a look at them. I know you are busy (you mentioned somewhere), if you have some time please look into them.

Just a friendly request and reminder. Thanks.

I have attached the links down here :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

first I really appreciate your effort and envy your skills to put up a plugin like this: powerful, versatile and quite easy to use.

I´m experimenting with it and would love to have a cleaner note in viewing mode (less cluttered to improve readability). For that I would suppose

1. another field in the syntax settings to specify some caracters before and after entering the NOTE TYPE.
  2. As you can see below, in my view it would be also great to be able to start the “block note flashcard” without the necessity to put “START” in a single line (as you can do it with the inline notes).

If I couldn´t explain my request clearly, please come back to me as I´m not a native speaker.

Is this an easy fix and would you provide this? Or are there more sophisticated reasons to your choice of implementation that I just don´t know/understand (yet)? Like compatibility reasons - but maybe you just could include possibility of paragraphs within the inline notes?

Thank you for your hard work, again!

Example ad point 1.:

question text
Back: Answer

Here again in editing mode:
<!–START–> <!–this works with simply changing the syntax setting–>
<!–Basic–> <!–here it would be perfect to have a alias like {note type}={<!–note type–>} like that I only see this line when editing–>
question text
<!–END–>

Example ad point 2.:
For me a form that reduces the lines even more would be even better - f.e.:
<!–START [Basic]–> <!–one line less–>
question text
<!–ID: 1609620849253–> <!–END–> <!–another line less and for that less line jumps between viewing and editing modes in Obsidian - especially in larger question sets–>

EDIT: Reading my comment again I realize that in fact the easiest fix would be to accept paragraphs (ENTER) within the inline notes. This would provide a complete implementation of my request, I think.
Like this:
viewing mode:
[Basic] This is a test.
Back: Test successful!

Editing mode
<!–STARTI–> [Basic] question text
<!–ID: 1609620849253–> <!–ENDI–>

You have some card types that require multiple fields? Else, you can easily use Regex and make as many card types as you want in ANKI for the kind of questions you want to have.

For Example:
I use three or four different card types. I have a card type each for

• Vocab
    • For sending words I don’t seem to know meaning of or some words that I like myself to use more often from my notes. I defined a regex for it (modifying the ones given with the script).
  • Quotes
    • To send quotes from the notes to ANKI, here I have a field for quote and one for the person. I defined separate Regex for them as well (Why? I don’t like having separate tag for “#flashcard” or “#SRS” etc. So, I simple use “#quote” and it goes into ANKI.
  • Question Answers from Notes
    • I defined my own set of types for these too. Since, I like using different forms of question styling.
  • Cloze Highlights.
    • I had requested to make italic as close deletion, but I think the developer disagreed there and used highlights, which kinda works for me as well.

Basically, I have separate card types (basically for styling in ANKI) which recieve cards from Obsidian

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Reading your reply and checking regex I think the developers have already adressed most of my needs with the regex for Q:/A: - this is a very clean implementation for me :slight_smile:

Well I like to have info on the note in Obsidian after my answers, too. I solved this for me by creating a new card type with another field {{extra}} and specifying in the note type table within the plugin-options:

• “Custom Regex” for Q/A-format set for my new card type
  • “Context Field” set for my new card field “extra”

Well, I´m quite new to this stuff and didn´t connect all of that immediately. I will dive deeper into this stuff.

For THE DEVELOPERS: No more questions at the moment!

1 Like

@pseudonym
I have raised a request to implement an idea for having hints in cloze in a neat way. Please have a look.

1 Like

that is exactly what i am trying to do! i use the QA regex too and would like to use another Anki field called “Extra”:.
If I do it like you write. How should the .md note look like?
Question and answer is clear:
Q: some question
A: the answer
But how do I call the Context Field now? Would be nice to hear from you.

Hey, I opend a disscussion regex and readability (on Github )would be great to share custom regex ideas and implementation.

Hello there,

I just wanted to ask if it is possible to move a card text with its ID to another note?
Because I sometimes create cards in the daily note but then like to move information to another note inside Obsidian. Now, I still want to be able to edit the Anki card easily.
Is that possible? I just tried it, and it didn’t work, so I was wondering whether i did something wrong or it is just not possible to do that.

Thanks in advance! It’s an awesome plug-in that makes it fun to add new card into anki :slight_smile:

How do you modify regex to account for cards that have additional fields?

For example, with my basic or cloze cards, I also have fields for Date, Source, and Example that I want to populate

What are the chances for an option that allows a one-time import from anki to Obsidian?

Hi

Thank for your awesome plugin !

Is it possible to use regex to work with code block ?

I want to use Q / A style with tabulation to add some style to my anki questions. So I tried to add \t on regex but it didn’t work.

Thanks !

Thank you for the great plugin.

I’d like to know if %% comment out %% can be implemented in this plugin.

I have two kinds of anki card set within the same note.
For example, “Basic” and “Cloze”

I’d like to put “Basic” & “Cloze” cards into separate decks.

Now, those cards are added in the same deck regardless of card types.

I tried to comment out using <!-- ~~~ --> and `%% ~~~ %%’.
But, in vain.

@Pseudonium I was wondering if adding support for transclusion to note creation is something you’ve thought about, or is on the road map?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, wasn´t around…

I´ve found no other solution than NOT using the Q/A-Regex-Format when I want to put something in the extra field. I just use these blocks for a custom card in Anki with the fields “Q”, “A”, “Rev” and “Extra”. In this way I can use all the fields of the Anki card.

B_opt_rev
Q: Gemeinschaftsrechtskonforme Auslegung
A: nationales Recht ist orientiert am Gemeinschaftsrecht zu interpretieren → Grenze = Wortsinn
Rev: 1
Extra: Abgrenzung zu Rechtsfortbildung + RechtsschĂśpfung

1 Like

I forgot: of course you need the starting and ending command too! In my case - as I changed the commands to a HTML comment format to have less lines visible in preview mode - like this:

B_opt_rev
Q: Gemeinschaftsrechtskonforme Auslegung
A: nationales Recht ist orientiert am Gemeinschaftsrecht zu interpretieren → Grenze = Wortsinn
Rev: 1
Extra: Abgrenzung zu Rechtsfortbildung + RechtsschĂśpfung

Hi, and thanks for your work
I wanted to try it but I am having problem for updating Note Type Table. It worked once when I reinstalled the plugin. But It doesn’t work again when I click on regenerate button. Notification stops at Notes get updated. The time it worked It showed Dictionary updated at last (I think). Any idea what should I do to get rid of this bug?

Hi, would you consider sharing your Question & Answer set up? I am trying to set up different types of flash cards for different types of cards, but still not fully clear on the procedure and experimenting. Would help to have some working examples.

I dont really use many card sets now. I mostly use Neura Cache Regex.

Would anyone be able to support me with creating a "Heading based and Multi-line # Q: / ## A: flashcard Custom Regex.
I’m having difficulty editing the sample Regex myself. Thanks!

hopefully, it would feature;

• based upon the “Q: A:” Regex style
  • Question as Heading 1: # Q:
  • Answer as Heading 2: ## A:
  • multi-line in both question and answer
  • benefits:
    – by toggling collapse all headings, the question/answers can be tested one at a time
    – this makes it very clean and readable on preview and Publish. Revision or presentations with other people easy.
    – formulating the flashcards from lecture notes or practice exams/quizzes into Anki is easy and organised.

I have demonstrated how this may look in this video header and multi-line “# Q: / ## A:” flashcard format

I have practice exams and would copy image questions/answers such as this example
edit
preview

Thanks!