Obsidian Sync - one remote (sync) vault for all local vaults?

Very happy about Obsidian Sync, but confused about how to set it up. I have Work and Personal Vaults on my work and home PCs, but when I set up a single Remote Vault for syncing, all my work and personal files seemed to get synced in both local Vaults – mixing my work and personal files in both my Work and Personal Vaults.

My goal is to sync the work files with the Work Vault and the personal files with the Personal Vault. Is that doable? I started to set up a second remote sync vault with an eye toward syncing one remote vault with Personal and another with Work, but that didn’t seem to be the right approach.

Thanks

I created 2 separate sync vaults work and home, one for each vault I want to sync

For each vault you want to sync, you should create a remote vault for it. After that, on another device, simply create an empty vault and connect it to the same remote vault.

Does that help?

6 Likes

Yes, thanks. I messed up and copied the same vault’s contents onto both machines I want to sync, so it’s not as clean a solution. Do you recommend deleting the contents of one of the synced vaults, cleaning up the remaining one and letting them sync anew?

Hi! But is it possible to link multiple local vaults to the same remote vault? I ask this because the limit of remote vaults is just 5, I think.
Anyway, the use of remote vaults is a bit confusing… I suggest to simplify it.

2 Likes

Yes, you can sync an unlimited number of local vaults with a remote vault.

True, do you have any suggestions? We still want to offer multiple separate remote vaults.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer!

In my opinion it should just be clear that multiple local vaults can be mapped with a single remote vault. For me this was the source of confusion, now I understand.

Two suggestions: on the “Account” page it would be nice to see a summary of all the vaults synced (both local and remote). Maybe with some info like number of files, size, etc…

The second one is probably more long term, but I think it could be super useful: users with a sync plan could be allowed to acces their files directly from the web (logging in in the account page in the website). I imagine it as a read-only feature, with the possibility to download single files or the entire vault (maybe as a zip archive).

Thanks for the great work!

I have the same issues regarding sync. I think the problem is users want to use sync to maintain the most recent vault between work and home. Vaults are already created on both work and home PCs. We want sync to recognize that we are wanting to update the same vault. Or as the original post suggest “merge” Vaults. I am so confused with sync that I am looking to manage my Vaults a different way. What am I missing ?

If you’ve previously used other means to sync vaults between work and home, I’d recommend using one of the local vaults (let’s say the home one) as source of truth and then create a remote vault from there. On the other end (work computer in this case), create a blank folder and sync to the same remote vault). The vault starter also has the Obsidian Sync option so you don’t even need to create a fresh folder:

1 Like