Obsidian sync fails for medium-size PDFs on Boox devices

Hi,

Disclaimer: I’ve had long conversations with Obsidian sync’s support team who did not manage to solve this issue and asked me to post a bug report on this forum.

Problem: Obsidian sync fails to download PDFs larger than 3-4MB to my Onyx Boox Note Air 3 C device. The download starts and is reported as successful by the sync log, but the PDF materializes as an empty 1.05MB file on my device. As a comparison, it works on my iphone and ipad, so it seems to be an android-related issue, specifically on boox devices.

Minimal reproducing test:

1. state of my linux vault (left), iOS iPad vault (center) and android Boox vault (right) before adding PDFs to the ‘cooking’ folder:

2. Here are the sync logs after adding 3 PDFs to the ‘cuisine’ directory on the linux vault (iOS left, android right):

3. And finally here is the state of the PDF files on the iOS iPad (left) and android boox (right) filesystems:

As you can see, the small 1.2MB PDF synced properly, but both the 8.2MB and the 57.7MB PDFs did not get downloaded properly.

Here is the device metadata:

SYSTEM INFO:

Operating system: android 12 (QUALCOMM NoteAir3C)
Obsidian version: 1.4.16 (114)
API version: v1.4.16
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none

SYNC INFO:

Vault ID: (XXXX)
Host server: wss://sync-10.obsidian.md
Device name:
Allowed file types: image, pdf, video, audio, unsupported
Allowed special types: app, core-plugin, core-plugin-data
Ignored directories:
Prevent sleep: true

Thank you for your assistance!

Hello.

I wonder if the transfer crashes/goes out of memory without producing an error.

What’s the android webview version installed and can you update it?