Now Obsidian Sync can only exclude whole folder. But sometimes, I only need to exclude several files, and these files cannot be moved to an ‘excluded’ folder. So it would be nice to have an option to exclude individual file, just like .gitignore.
Yes, I also have this need. Among the synchronization schemes I have used at present, the official synchronization is undoubtedly the best in speed and stability; However, in selective synchronization, there is no way to exclude a file, only the entire folder. This function can be implemented on both resiliosync and synching (they both have a. Ignore file to exclude files and folders that do not need to be synchronized). I want to exclude a file because I need different settings when using it on different devices. I want to exclude the configuration file (data. JSON) of individual plug-ins, otherwise my Vault will look strange. For example, when I work on a 4K resolution PC, my layout is just right; When switching to 1080p notebook, the display effect is really messy; At this time, I need to exclude the configuration file of workspace and set it separately to make the notebook display normally.
Yes, it would be nice to be able to exclude arbitrary files. I’m pretty sure you guys are probably sick of hearing this.
Also, it would be nice to have some visual indication that a file or a folder is not synced, so it is only local and safe to delete. I believe the current workflow is sync, exclude, and delete, which is not the most intuitive thing.
I would also really appreciate some way to have more fine-grained control over exclusions.
The ideal (IMO) would be to support something like .gitignore, perhaps with an obsidian-specific filename like .obsidianignore or .syncignore.
For an example use-case:
I have a folder, lets say its called Ephemeral and I want the folder itself to be synced, as well as the Ephemeral/Ephemeral.md note (the folder note) but everything else in the folder to be skipped. This way I could provide some description/explanation of the folder’s no-sync/no-backup configuration that is still synced to all devices, as well as the folder itself.
This is trivial to achieve with .gitignore or .kopiaignore:
Ephemeral/*
!Ephemeral/
!Ephemeral/Ephemeral.md
Supporting the gitignore syntax would be a fantastic way to expand the rather limited folder-based exclusion to have more fine-grained control.
How is this not already a thing? I feel like ignoring some files and folders (that last part works i guess) is one of the base requirements for any kind of syncing service. I can’t stress enough how important it is for me to be able to ignore some files in all folders, just depending on their name. For example it messes with a lot of stuff if untitled files get synced, so I would just ignore Untitled.md and won’t have problems like templater triggering on multiple devices, where the only “solution” is to temporarily disable the sync plugin and pray you were fast enough, so it doesn’t sync. I also believe that untitled files should just be excluded from sync (or at least with a toggle) since if they have no title, why should they exist, other than to be updated to have a title? they are clearly not ready to be synced right?
I love obsidian, but this is honestly such a big missing part of Obsidian Sync, it makes me reconsider if it is worth the money
I just paid for a sync subscription then had to immediately cancel when I started to it up. This is because I keep rust code in my vault and there’s no way to exclude the target/ directories which contain GB of data that would put me over the storage limit. It never occurred to me that there would be no way to exclude by glob or regex like git or syncthing does. This is absolutely staggering. The idea of seamless end-end encryption really appeals but also the easy integration on mobile devices. It seems a little expensive but it would have been a great way to support the development team of Obsidian - a piece of software that’s changed my life.
However, I’m now back to figuring out how to roll my own with syncthing or nexcloud or something. Harumph.
completely agree. cmon Obs team, please impl this. to fully use Obs as a knowledge base must include the docs + files we need access to. As mentioned as nasuem, we cant include binary assets from folders/data sources we require. Im not going to keep a parallel copy of my data with md/curr supported files only just to have a db that syncs. that would mean setting up and maintaining a whole set of brittle tasks/jobs.
Is the engineering effort to have an .obsidianignore that hard?