Obsidian starts with blank screen

Steps to reproduce

I don’t know exactly, since I’ve been using Obsidian for a while so I’m not sure 100% what triggered it. Right now all I have to do is open Obsidian, and I see a blank screen.

The last thing I tried doing was copying my notes over to a dropbox folder so it can be synced with my dropbox. Maybe that’s what triggered it.

Expected result

Notes.

Actual result

A blank screen:

Environment

• Operating system: Linux Fedora 32
  • Obsidian version: 0.7.3

Additional information

I tried re-installing. I’m using the AppImage, so I deleted it and downloaded again from obsidian.md. I also deleted the folder located at ~/.config/obsidian. Nothing changed the above result.

The next day, it started like normal. I’m not sure what was causing that issue.

Maybe your partition was not mounted?

If it happens again, please check the console ctrl-shift-i
and report any errors.

@WhiteNoise Thanks for the response. It did happen again, and the error I see in the console is Uncaught (in promise) Error: ENOSPC: System limit for number of file watchers reached, watch '/home/hassan/Dropbox/notes/'.

I suppose that error message is clear enough. I was able to solve it by running:

echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf && sudo sysctl -p

I hope that helps you fix the bug. If you need anything else from me, please let me know.

2 Likes

@WhiteNoise Thanks for the response. It did happen again, and the error I see in the console is Uncaught (in promise) Error: ENOSPC: System limit for number of file watchers reached, watch '/home/hassan/Dropbox/notes/' .

I suppose that error message is clear enough. I was able to solve it by running:

echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf && sudo sysctl -p

I hope that helps you fix the bug. If you need anything else from me, please let me know.

I just had the exact same problem and your run-command also helped me. :slight_smile: Thanks!

Same problem just appeared for me. The command also fixed it.

System: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Installed version: 0.8.14.AppImage

A good explanation on why this limit is set to such a low number by default: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux#_visual-studio-code-is-unable-to-watch-for-file-changes-in-this-large-workspace-error-enospc

2 Likes