Obsidian Starter Kit - Zettelkasten Style! (Unfinished)

@lizardmenfromspace, I shared my current Zettelkasten + Obsidian workflow in the below forum topic. This might help you find gaps in my approach that can help what you’re working on creating. Or it may be useless, but flagging it here in case it’s anything but totally useless :slight_smile: My Zettelkasten Workflow in Obsidian (feedback requested)

3 Likes

Would love a get-started-with-obsidian starter guide. I would love to see a functional obsidian setup so I can decide how I can integrate my existing setup with obsidian. A demo obsidian vault would be great too. Thanks for your help!

Now that I’m transfering my notes from my Zettelkasten I’m faced with the same challenge.

Good to hear that you are getting rid of the timestamp. I might change all my notes to a more human readable names also.

1 Like

@lizardmenfromspace how is it going? Have you already found a good workflow?

@Mises it is coming along! It just is going to take awhile because I’m building an example Zettelkasten alongside the guide so that requires research and such.

I have to disagree about “Smart Notes” containing no directions of the proper procedures and, more importantly, the principles behind an effective process for creating and maintaining a slip box. I actually thought it was fairly explicit, but just nested amidst lots of anecdotal fluff and details geared more towards providing context and entertainment (which if your book is about note taking, is quite the task). Anyway I mention it only because it might prove useful to fish through it again for the workflow prescriptions.

Also, you bring up a good point about the “Folgezettel” and the dispute over its ultimate importance to the essence of a zkn system. I have to admit, after obsessing over whether or not maintaining the sequencing of zettels is critical or not, with no definitive answer in sight , I too don’t really care and that.

Finally, as far as note templates go, the best I could come up with on my own in Sublime Text and the Archive was a few keyboard shortcuts; for fleeting, Lit., Index, project, synthesis notes, etc. This did the trick for the most part.

3 Likes

Thank you for giving your time to make a guide for us beginners.
Dont mind other people (whoever that Klaas) who just tries to Act Smart instead of Helping you help others. Maybe he’s just jealous of the attention you are getting and wants some for himself, that why he invades your thread and make a fuss.
We appreciate your effort, Mr. Lizard. We really do.

There’s no keyword searching and hyperlinking tools when Luhmann’s started to take card notes. The unique id such as 1/1a2c he used was for sorting and searching.

With modern tools such as Obsidian, we have new ways to search and build links, which are much more efficient than Luhmann’s approach. Therefore the unique ids are unnecessary now.

1 Like

I agree with the first part but not the second. You are always going to need unique IDs in order to reference another note. You can make them invisible but having notes be fairly unique in some manner is going to make life easier for one. Doesn’t have to be Luhmann ID or Time ID, can simply be a unique name or phrase.