Obsidian & Readwise - highlights in specific format to enable dataview qeury

What I’m trying to do

I use Readwise to classify quotes I have highlighted and these end up in Obsdian. Pretty standard workflow I think. Aim: to create a dataview table in Obsidian which displays all of the quotes I have tagged to a specific #tag (e.g. #influence)**

I received some earlier help on this forum and am using this dataview query:

```dataview
TABLE without ID file.link as Source,
L.text AS "Quotes"
FROM "Readwise"
FLATTEN file.lists AS L
WHERE contains(L.tags, "#influence")

It seems, however, thar in order for this to work, the quote that I ingest via Readwise needs to be in a specific format. It needs to have quotation marks around it, needs to have a bullet point and needs to have tags immediately after the quote.

Something like this seems to work in terms of being ingested into the dataview table:

Second question: the highlight now doesn’t display neatly in the Obsidian note – is there a way the quotation marks and bullet can start directly at the quote itself?

Aim is to end up with a table query that looks like the first entry, rather than the second

May I am wrong in my assumption that this is a ReadWise side issue and I can chance the Obsdian dataview query.

This is my current formatting set up in ReadWise for highlights:

#### {% if highlight_location %} {{highlight_location}}{% endif %}
> > "{{ highlight_text }}" {% if highlight_location and highlight_location_url %}
> > Link: [{{highlight_location}}]({{highlight_location_url}}){% elif highlight_location %}
> > Ref: {{highlight_location}}{% endif %}{% if highlight_tags %}
> 
> **Tags**: {% for tag in highlight_tags %}{{tag}} {% endfor %}{% endif %}{% if highlight_note %}
> **Note**: {{ highlight_note }}{% endif %}

Things I have tried

I’ve tried searching this and other forums, and playing around with the ReadWise code. If I move the “tags” portion of the code to come immediately after the highlight itself, I end up with the following error: “highlight_template: Template syntax invalid: ‘NoneType’ object is not iterable”

Thanks in advance for your help. I’ve tried as far as I can to step this out neatly, but let me know if my explanation is confusing!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.