Obsidian permanently deletes files in Linux, even though it says that it will move to system trash

I wanted to locate some old deleted notes so I checked my rubbish bin in Manjaro KDE, but they were not there. Then to test this, I created a note with a very distinct name, and deleted it. It wasn’t in my trash folder, I did multiple system-wide searches, and I couldn’t locate it. Even though Obsidian says (and I had the setting selected) that it will move it to system trash, it instead permanently deletes the files.

Where is your vault stored?

Do you get errors in console when you delete ctrl-shift-i?

Which method did you use to install Obsidian on Manjaro KDE?

Can you bother to add your obsidian version?

@Georgios please use the template! We need all the information in there to actually debug this issue, e.g.

• Steps to reproduce
  • Obsidian version
  • Installer version
  • are you in safe mode?
  • what are you using for Obsidian? AppImage or Snap?
  • where is your vault located?

Apologies for the poor bug report.

No errors either before or after deletion

It’s interesting I have chosen both ‘Move to system trash’ and ‘Move to Obsidian trash (.trash)’ and both simply permanently delete the file.

• Steps to reproduce
    In settings, select EITHER ‘Move to system trash’ or ‘Move to Obsidian trash (.trash)’
    Delete a file
    Cannot locate the file either in system trash, or when doing a system-wide search

• Obsidian version

• Installer version
    Flatpack

• are you in safe mode?
    No

• what are you using for Obsidian? AppImage or Snap?
    Flatpack

• where is your vault located?
    In a subfolder of my /home/username

Here’s info about my system.

Note that the same folder that I use as my vault is a subfolder of my Mega sync vault, but I don’t think that affects anything.

does it happen in the help vault?

This sounds to me like it’s related to this issue:

Might be good to ask @jstone.

Yes it does, I just tested it.

I cannot locate the Obsidian .trash folder. Where would it be located in Linux when installed via a Flatpack?

@Georgios Might be worth asking/opening an issue in the flatpak repo: Issues · flathub/md.obsidian.Obsidian · GitHub

Just to add some extra input (I use the 0.12.12 AppImage on Linux Mint 20.2):

• I suspect @argentum is right re FlatPak—it works here using the AppImage.
  • It also seems somehow dependent on the setting of Core plugins → File recovery but I didn’t deep-diagnose that.

@Georgios: Obsidian uses vault-based .trash folders, in the root of each vault.

Actually, I was able to locate my files in the .trash subfolders of my vault. Somehow they were not showing up in the search results. My apologies, I must have been doing something wrong.

Interestingly the problem is now somehow reversed. The deleted files are moved to the Obsidian vault’s .trash folder, EITHER when selecting ‘Move to system trash’ or ‘Move to Obsidian trash (.trash)’

To be honest this is not a problem for me anymore, since I now know where to look for deleted files.