Obsidian has become slow even if I disabled all the community plugins

I wonder whether anyone else experience similar issues but since some of the latest updates, I feel Obsidian has becoming significantly slower than before, even though the time to load plugins seems to be acceptable (~ 10 plugins at < 1,000 ms in total load time.)

Things I have tried

What I have tried is to disable all the plugins, switch off the vim mode in the editor, and switched to the ‘Minimal’ theme. Still, when I type, the display is not responsive, it lags to display the chars I typed. I have only 2,500 .md notes, about 700 pictures in my vault.

I know my laptop is not the latest, but it has 16G memory. I don’t know what else I can do to debug or improve the performance of Obsidian. The total memory use is at about 75%, where Obsidian is only using about 60MB.

1 Like

Can you run the command “Show debug info” in Obsidian, and paste the results here?

I have currently switched back to my normal settings and here is the output from the “Show debug information”

	Obsidian version: v1.1.16
	Installer version: v0.15.8
	Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: light
	Community theme: Blue Topaz v20230115
	Snippets enabled: 3
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 26
	Plugins enabled: 9
		1: Tag Wrangler v0.5.6
		2: Recent Files v1.3.5
		3: Advanced Tables v0.18.1
		4: Latex Environments v0.3.0
		5: Outliner v4.2.1
		6: Dataview v0.5.55
		7: Tasks v1.25.0
		8: Calendar v1.5.10
		9: Sortable v0.3.1

	Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Your Obsidian installer is very out of date. Download and reinstall from the website, and it might help. If not, we can keep searching for clues.

After that, also make sure your theme(s) and plugins are up to date too.


Thanks, it seems to have improved quite a bit.

Not sure how it worked, I assumed since it was updated constantly so which Installer you use should not matter, but I did seem to feel the keyboard is now responsive again. I’ll let you know if I run into the same problem again.

1 Like

It doesn’t happen that often, but in the release notes, 3 times, 0.15.9, and twice more, there was a notice that it was necessary to reinstall. The auto-updater can’t install certain components.


I should read the release notes in the future :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It may have cleared a cache, or maybe the update itself helped.

Also note that when you turn plugins off you need to restart Obsidian afterward to fully unload them.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.