Obsidian has a problem (flatpak/linux)

Titles and headings are a combination of English and some other language.

There have been a bunch of flatpak issues recently. Maybe something that can help in one of these threads?

Those threads were all from one issue, which was a regression in Mesa/Electron caching. This looks like a different issue.

@mjh Please confirm how other versions of Obsidian behave.

2 Likes

I used Google Lense to translate given text in picture and seems like that some “other” language is Amharic (Amharic - Wikipedia).

It may have to do something with local language packs installed.

This is a serious problem because none of the settings pages are usable. I know the flatpak is developed by the community but the obsidian developers need to take an interest in this. It is a serious setback to obsidian users.

This could be an issue with how your system language is set.

Can you provide info about system locales, distribution, desktop environment, etc?

$ locale
$ flatpak run --command=locale md.obsidian.Obsidian

It’s possible that there’s a fontconfig cache issue:

$ rm -rf /.var/app/md.obsidian.Obsidian/cache/fontconfig

It also looks like Obsidian lets you set the interface language:

I am using Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon. Here is the locale info
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_COLLATE=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

I am new to linux so what will be the result of running on Obsidian install. I read the man page so I know what the command does.
$ rm -rf /.var/app/md.obsidian.Obsidian/cache/fontconfig

Thank you. Once you pointed out where to make the change, I was able to go back in and make the interface language change. Not being able to read the language, I couldn’t tell where it was.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.