Obsidian for Chemistry

Introduction

Hey guys, i foudn out about obsidian a month and started using it for my college work. It has been amazing so far. But one problem i have been having is with displaying organic chemical strucutres. Mathjax is really useful to equations and formulaes but don’t think it can display structures.

Things I have tried

One workaround is to use another software to draw the structures and insert a pdf into obsidian but it would be amazing if i could do this in obsidian itself

Possible Solution

While looking around I saw this markdown fomrat which used SMILES to display the diagrams. Is it possible to do something similar in obsidian.

P.S I am new here, If this is not the right place to ask this quesiton, i will gladly move it.

1 Like

For what I know those diagrams are not possible in Mathjax and therefore not in Obsidian, but maybe I’m wrong. But what is possible is this:

$$
	\require{mhchem}
$$

$$
	\ce{CO2 + C -> 2 CO}
$$

$$
	\ce{Zn^2+  <=>[+ 2OH-][+ 2H+]  $\underset{\text{amphoteres Hydroxid}}{\ce{Zn(OH)2 v}}$  <=>[+ 2OH-][+ 2H+]  $\underset{\text{Hydroxozikat}}{\ce{[Zn(OH)4]^2-}}$}
$$

You only have to do the \require{mhchem} once when using Obsidian, on startup. So if you always start obsidian on a ceratin start/home page you could do it there.

(Mathpix is indeed an awesome tool)

Check out the exciladraw plugin

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.