Obsidian crashes on 3 words search even in restricted mode

When entering a 3 words search, e.g. “create a folder” on the last letters of the word “folder” Obsidian already freezes a bit. Then, after Obsidian shows the results, when deleting the search expression Obsidian crashes.

Please see the video: Dropbox - 240205_Obsidian_freeze_on_search_restricted_mode.mov - Simplify your life

After all the interface disappears the window can still be closed.

The bug is stable, crashes every time in a similar fashion. Tried restarting Obsidian.
With Community plugins enabled also crashes, searching with Omnisearch crashes as well.

I am on MacBook M1 Pro, OS X 12.3. Vault is new and tiny, on a local drive, non-encrypted, 218 files, size 48MB.

Here is debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.4.0: Mon Feb 21 20:35:58 PST 2022; root:xnu-8020.101.4~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 21.4.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: light
Community theme: Sandstorm v1.1.0
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: on

can you zip this vault, upload it somewhere, and dm me the link to it?

Ok, how can I dm?

I uploaded. How can I dm, please?

Click or tap WhiteNoise’s profile picture, then the Message button.

Well, I should have mentioned that I did try this obvious way - no Message button there for me (please see the screenshot): Dropbox - Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 13.26.15.png - Simplify your life
Maybe, because I have just joined

Ah, good thinking — that was it. I’ve raised your trust level so you should be able to message now.

1 Like

The problem is created by a huge markdown file (5mb) and your 3 words one of them being “a” getting 200k hits in that file.

Thank you very much for the explanation!

How can I avoid such problems in future?
No huge markdown files - ok. What else to avoid?

So, if I save many MBs of texts (books or program files) then typing “a” in an unquoted search phrase may crash the system?

we will try to handle better these cases.

Does saving big texts as attachments solve the problem? Text attachments are not searched?

I’d say don’t include “a” in unquoted searches. Even if it didn’t crash, it would muddy your results. Your example would work better as either create folder or "create a folder" (depending on what you’re going for).

1 Like