I am looking for advice/detailed tutorial links (written posts strongly preferable to videos) on how to structure my vault/Obsidian interface/note templates to achieve a long list of desired functionality. I apologize if this is the wrong place to request help of this sort and will happily move/delete my post if asked!
I have currently been running Obsidian (and loving it) for several months as a combination Note-taking/To-Do list/Journal System. I am using most of the core plugins, but have been a bit overwhelmed by the community plugin ecosystem so far and haven’t yet added any of these.
Tentatively, I think I could achieve many my goals by implementing Dataview, Obsidian to Anki, Obsidian Citations Plugin + Zotero, Incremental Writing Plugin - I am not sure the best implementation order or note/vault structure to achieve this, however.
I currently use Anki for spaced repetition (I really like it and would prefer to keep using it) and Dropbox for Cloud Storage (I have no strong affiliation for this and am happy to change).
My personal computers run Ubuntu, my phone runs Android. My work/client computer’s typically run Windows.
I do data science for a living, but I’m definitely a mathematician and not a programmer so while my technical knowledge/ability is probably above average for the general population, it is also probably below average for this crowd (e.g. I know how to program, but it usually takes me a few hours to remember how to set up an IDE and actually get everything working). It is safer to assume I don’t know how to do something technical than I do.
I have previously used the following software/systems to achieve some or all of the functions I’d like to accomplish below:
- Bullet Journaling
- A nightmarish combination of spreadsheets, word documents and a written index
From my research so far, I think I’m trying to use Obsidian as a combination of Notion, Roam, Airtable, and Todoist.
Criteria for Solutions:
- Obsidian based (probably goes without saying - I love this platform)
- Minimize additional software systems (I would like my information to be as centralized as possible)
- Locally stored but cloud shared information storage (e.g. Dropbox)
- Cross platform support (across Ubuntu, Android, Windows)
- Minimal cost ($0 preferred, one-off costs strongly preferred to recurring costs)
Desired Functionality ranked in approximate order of importance:
- Project Based To Do Tracking
- Recurring To Do Tracking
- Reference Management/In-Note Citations
- Referencing/Managing external files/documents (e.g. being able to reference and link to a particular spreadsheet in my Dropbox)
- Google/Outlook Calendar integration (i.e. ability to create ‘Events’ in Obsidian and export them quickly, or import them from my personal/work calendars)
- Incremental Reading
- Spaced Repetition (ideally through export to Anki)
- Personal Database (e.g. personal contact CRM)
- Daily Journal/Log
- Quantified-Self-style personal tracking
Again - any advice is welcome (including “This is a terrible unworkable idea and you should be using software X, not Obsidian”). The more specific detailed the better (e.g. “In order to manage/link to files, you should set up a note template that contains a link to the external file and reference these notes within Obsidian rather than the files themselves. These notes should contain the following metadata for browsing with dataview…”)