Obsidian breaks pdf files added to vault by changing encoding

When adding pdf files to the vault they suddenly break and appear empty when opening them.

I think it is because obsidian changes the encoding of the pdf from ANSI to UTF-8. I have added an image below where I have opened two versions of the same pdf file in notepad. Notepad is saying that the encoding has changed, and the file size has almost doubled after moving it into the obisidan vault.

Steps to reproduce

Drag pdf file into obsidian gui or manually move or paste a pdf file into the vault folder.

Expected result

Not break pdf

Actual result

It breaks pdf


  • Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: v0.10.1

Additional information

We had similar issue with the images as far as I know. Please check if you have this Plugin called Templater and update it.
It was causing the problems for me. Now its fixed

If this is not a caused by the Templater plugin, Please, provide some clear reproducible steps if you can.

Thank you.

Disabling the Templater plugin fixed it.

Should have tried that from the start, but didn’t expect that plugin to be able to screw up pdfs. My mistake.

Thanks for the help.

There was an update, I think it would be fine once you update it. Fixed for me :slight_smile:

All my PDF’s are broken now.
They are all blank!