Obsidian Bookmarks Bug

Steps to reproduce

1. Force quit Obsidian on Windows 11.
  2. Open Vault from scratch.
  3. Open Bookmarks Sidebar

There, you will see that the bookmarks have disappeared.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I did the steps, though it’s impossible to have a full list of Bookmarks in the sandbox vault to see if they disappear or not. After I updated everything, the bookmarks have still disappeared.

Expected result

I expect to see a list of my bookmarks and not a blank bookmarks section.

Actual result

I see the bookmarks section is blank. If I spam-click the Collapse/Uncollapse button, the bookmarks eventually reappear. Here is a video of the issue: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.13
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Prism v3.4.1
Snippets enabled: 16
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 35
Plugins enabled: 31
1: Admonition v10.1.1
2: Advanced Tables v0.19.1
3: Auto Link Title v1.4.1
4: Dataview v0.5.58
5: File Explorer Note Count v1.2.1
6: Filename Heading Sync v1.9.0
7: Find orphaned files and broken links v1.9.1
8: Footnote Shortcut v0.1.3
9: Metatable v0.14.7
10: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
11: Note Refactor v1.8.2
12: Outliner v4.8.0
13: Timeline v1.1.0
14: Templater v1.16.0
15: Tidy Footnotes v0.1.1
16: Tasks v4.7.0
17: Tag Wrangler v0.5.13
18: Table of Contents v0.2.0
19: Sync Graph Settings v1.1.0
20: Supercharged Links v0.10.3
21: Style Settings v1.0.7
22: Smart Random Note v0.2.1
23: Recent Files v1.3.8
24: Projects v1.16.5
25: QuickAdd v1.2.1
26: Open in other editor v0.0.5
27: Markdown Table Editor v0.3.1
28: Focus Mode v1.11.4
29: Kanban v1.5.3
30: MetaEdit v1.8.2
31: DB Folder v3.5.0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

( Recommendations followed and still the issue presents itself )

Additional information

2 Likes

Thanks for the video, but please try to reproduce the issue with community plugins disabled.

I find the same issue, even with all other plugins disabled.

Can you also restart Obsidian after disabling the other plugins to ensure that the plugins are completely removed? (some plugins don’t properly clean up after themselves).

Can you post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault?

Thanks for the reply, liam. I took that Environment snapshot after I re-enabled my Community plug-ins. They were shut off during my testing. However, I understand your need to see the video to “trust yet verify”. I’ll set some time aside to make this recording to resolve this bug. Thanks.

Hi WhiteNoise. Thanks for your response. Per my original post, this is impossible since the sandbox automatically starts with a clean bookmarks section and my bug occurs upon starting Obsidian. However, I will plan some time to record the video liam requested above.

Sandbox box resets itself only if you open it from help->open sandbox vault

If you open it from the vault switcher, it doesn’t.

I have the same issue (in fact even worse because I can’t even click on bookmark links in the bookmarks section to open them, clicking on them does nothing). However, when I use a dummy vault with very few notes and no plugins enabled the issue disappears, so I think the issue may be due to some plugin. If I figure out which plugin is causing the issue for me, I’ll post it here.

*I deactivated a lot of plugins at once so am not sure which was the culprit but I’ve solved the issue on my end for the most part by doing that (though the bookmarks and even now the folders take a bit of time to load, they do eventually load, and I can now click on bookmarks and navigate to them)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.