Obsidian becomes unresponsive after clicking Minimize button

Hi,

Obsidian becomes unresponsive after clicking the Minimize button in the upper-right corner of the screen on Windows 10. When I click the app icon in the taskbar (or when I Alt + Tab back to the window), the window shows up but it’s completely unresponsive. The expected content is being shown but there is no blinking cursor in the note editor. Clicking or typing anywhere doesn’t do anything. The mouse pointer icon does update (for example showing a hand when hovering over links).

Steps to reproduce

• Start Obsidian and open a vault
  • Click the Minimize button in the upper-right corner of the window to minimize the window
  • Click the Obsidian icon in the taskbar to make the window appear (or switch back to the window using Alt + Tab)
  • Click anywhere in the note editor to place the cursor

Expected result

• The cursor is placed at the position where the mouse click happened

Actual result

• No cursor is blinking in the note editor
  • No interface item responds to clicking to typing
  • Obsidian needs to be closed and re-opened before it works again

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.928
  • Obsidian version: v0.11.13
  • Community plugins disabled
  • Custom CSS disabled
  • Standard theme

Additional information

I tried the following things to obtain debugging information:

• Open the Obsidian Developer Console. This remained empty when reproducing the bug
  • Attach the Visual Studio debugger to the Obsidian process. No exceptions or warnings showed up.

Please let me know if there’s any further information you’d need to look into this.

Does it happen in the help vault?
Does it happen if you create a new vault?

Does it happen in the help vault?

Yes

Does it happen if you create a new vault?

Yes

That is very odd.
What’s your installer version?

My installer version is v0.11.13

What are your computer specs?
Can you post a screen recording?

Does this happen with other electron apps? Like discord?

Another thing that you can try is disable hardware accelleration in settings>about.

What are your computer specs?

Intel Core i5-8400
16 GB RAM
64-bit Windows 10 Pro

Another thing that you can try is disable hardware accelleration in settings>about.

I turned it off and relaunched, but the same thing happened.

If I try to type anything into a note after the screen has become unresponsive, then that text does show up once I close the app and reopen it. I tried this with hardware acceleration on and off, and it happens in both cases.

I’ll try some more Electron apps and will make a screen recording later today.

Does this happen with other electron apps? Like discord?

I tried Discord and Atom, but it doesn’t happen with those apps.

Can you post a screen recording?

Here you go!

I hope this illustrates what’s happening. If you need any further information then just let me know.

I am not sure why this is happening. I’ll move this back to bug reports and see if we get some more feedback.

It appears that minimizing the window doesn’t always result in the app becoming unresponsive. Today I was able to minimize it, maximize it again and everything worked just fine. Then a little while later the same sequence of steps resulted in the app being unresponsive again. So it seems like there’s something else involved in this issue.

I’ll keep track of the things I do before minimizing to pinpoint what’s causing the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.