Obsidian becomes slow and laggy after computer sleep

I’ve had this issue happening for a while: Basically every time I use Obsidian, it is slow and laggy until I quit and reopen it. At some point I pinpointed it to the computer’s sleep and now I can even reproduce the issue by having Obsidian open, putting the computer to sleep, and waking it up again. This happens with a completely fresh installation of v0.15.9 (i.e. all files under Application Support etc. removed) with all plugins disabled in a newly created vault.

It is noticeable while typing and while hovering the menus in settings and in many other places in the interface. This does not happen in any other application.

I’ve talked to people on Discord in the #insider-desktop channel and nobody has had or heard of this issue before. So I suspect none of you will be able to reproduce it. But maybe someone has hints what I can do to figure this out. (By the way, this also means I’ve tested it out on v0.16.3 and it’s still occurring.)

I’ve looked at the dev console and couldn’t find anything there. I’ve tried disabling hardware acceleration which also didn’t change anything. A performance profile showed that there are lost frames and slow processes, but I couldn’t pinpoint it to any specific thing (so maybe somehow can help here or inspect my performance profiles).

Steps to reproduce

Have Obsidian open. Put computer to sleep. (Wait a few seconds so that it’s actually asleep.) Wake computer up. Start typing or doing anything else in Obsidian and it will be a bit slow (like it’s slightly behind all the time). Quit Obsidian and reopen it and the issue disappears.

Expected result

Obsidian should not get into this state.

Actual result

Obsidian gets slow and laggy until it is quit and reopened.


  • Operating system: macOS 12.6
  • Debug info:
    Obsidian version: v0.15.9
    Installer version: v0.15.9
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Mon Aug 22 20:20:05 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.140.49~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.6.0
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on


Additional information

I’ll upload my performance profile somewhere and attach it here in a bit.

Couldn’t edit the post, so here’s the performance profile (I hope it doesn’t include any sensitive information, but I didn’t see anything when inspecting the JSON file): iCloud

(I was just typing "a"s into a note when I did this.)

You can see there are a lot of dropped or partially rendered frames, probably caused by a lot of “long tasks”. Maybe someone can make more sense of this than I can.

I appreciate any help or feedback on this!

I already have an update: I spent some more time debugging this as it is likely an issue with my particular software configuration. Being able to reproduce it (which I wasn’t before because I hadn’t tried) helped immensely. I was able to find out that with a high chance, the issue is related to an app I’ve been using called App Tamer. It allows you to “tame” apps and processes by making them run on efficiency cores only or deprioritizing their process. For Obsidian, I had it set so it would run on the efficiency cores when the app is not shown. This would usually not cause any issue, but it seems that the combination of that setting in App Tamer and putting my computer to sleep has caused the issue. Since disabling the setting in App Tamer, I’ve not been able to reproduce the issue. It also makes sense that it is something particular like this as nobody else has had this issue before.

I will observe this for a few days to see if it is actually fixed and then mark this as the solution. (And instead I’ll send a bug report to the developer of App Tamer. :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.