Obsidian as intake form to submit as email

What I’m trying to do

I’m wondering if its possible to use Obsidian, for example in a physical office setting on an ipad , for a client to input information into a form and submit that info to a specific email address.

I’m thinking that you could have something like this:

<form action="submit_form.php" method="POST">
  Name: <input type="text" name="name"><br>
  Email: <input type="text" name="email"><br>
  <input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

and somehow send that info to a mailto:// type link

Things I have tried

lots of searching and asking chatGPT

Yes. You can use command line email client and Shell commands plugin.

I got the shell command thing to work - thanks.

I already have a button to copy the current file to the clipboard, so I did this shell command:
var=“$(xclip -out -selection clipboard)”; mousepad “(my path)/$var” to see the contents of the file in an external editor, but when I do that I get everything but the content of the html fields above. How do I get that info?

or alternately, is there a way to get a similar experience of html form fields using just native markdown?

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about programming.

In this thread and post, there’s a way to target the current document and read contents of same.
So what you want to achieve is definitely possible with javascript (with or without Templater) and the Obsidian API, methinks.

How you are going to dress it up, with html, is completely irrelevant (for me), at this point.

Not sure what this plugin can do:

You define a form based on a set of rules, then you can open it in a modal, fill in and get the data back. What you do with the data from there is up to you: fill a template and create a new note, send the json data to a remote program, feed it to another plugin… whatever

Just some quick thoughts. Using Shell commands plugin you can read file properties or selection. Shell commands plugin also offers prompts to ask input values. I think prompts or file properties are suitable solutions to you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.