Obsidian Appreciation Thread - Let's show some love to the team - Thank you

Hey there!
Just wanted to say that I’ve been using Obsidian for a while now. And what can I say, I absolutely love it! Great UX and really sweet, but simple design.

I registered an account, because my strikethrough command rather toggled a highlight, but then saw there’s a new update I haven’t installed yet. Installed it, solved. So I thought I’d send this celebration and note of gratitude instead :slight_smile:

Thanks for all and keep it up!

15 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Obsidian has entered my dreams after <1 month

MacStories Selects 2021: Obsidian is App of the Year.
“There’s a good reason why Obsidian has taken the note-taking world by storm and has fostered a highly engaged community of users and developers: it’s an incredibly powerful, customizable piece of software that makes no assumptions about you or your workflow, and instead rewards you for shaping your own experience in the app.”

9 Likes

Thank you, we’re so honored!

6 Likes

I’m new to Obsidian and currently hyper-motivated to write notes. I even converted my highlights from my Kindle to markdown files to import them to Obsidian.

The first highlight that caught my attention was from this blog post I read in 2019: Everything is Amazing, But Nothing is Ours

Then I realized that the quotes I highlighted back then apply perfectly to Obsidian:

Product teams who go out of their way to give us real, tangible objects we feel that we can own will find a great deal of success.

and:

But I’d love to see more teams embrace the idea that less friction isn’t always best. If the current trend of technology is sweeping us in a direction of “everything is amazing, but nothing is ours”, Technology that’s Actually Yours could be the next great counter-trend.

Yes, there was some friction to set up Obsidian and to sync on two Linux desktops and two Android devices. It also took a while to get to know Obsidian and to choose the plugins I need. But it was worth it. I cannot remember the last time that a software gave me this feeling that it’s all mine. It’s a virtous cycle: I love using it because I feel a strong sense of ownership. Then it grows and becomes even more “mine”. Then I’ll use it even more.

I don’t know if the developers of Obsidian ever read this article. But they certainly built a software that makes you feel in control - instead of the software controlling you.

16 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. You’ve phrased my thoughts in words that I couldn’t come up with myself.

1 Like

Hear, hear.

Since I started using Obsidian I went from vague curiosity, to excitation, to passion, to sophisticated procrastination, to absolute awe and actually achieving a state where it does help me work better and live a better life, which is something that had always been out of reach despite being the promise of many apps and environments and frameworks.

Using Obsidian is like watching the result of a piece of work where the authors just made nearly all the right choices.

Sometimes I just stare at the screen and mutter “it’s amazing… it’s amazing…”

Now I’m kinda scared it could end someday, so I’m committed to making the most of it while it lasts. :heart_decoration:

5 Likes

TLDR; really glad I cancelled Spotify and subscribed to Publish

I’m very much a newbie with Obsidian but I’m already very impressed with Publish. Everything has worked smoothly from the get-go.

As someone who has worked in SEO/Content Marketing but also created stuff on the side, I felt burned by the enshittification of social media and online life. Obsidian and its Publish option feels like a breath of fresh air and has allowed me to regain a semblance of agency as a user.

I also appreciate the effort and intention that goes into making Obsidian and the fine design line between streamlining and catering to a whole of constellation of feature requests. Thank you Obsidian Team!

2 Likes

This app is just awesomeness on all levels.

3 Likes

A little over a year ago, I took up my iPad again to continue with my research and was facing whether to use MS Word or Pages to edit my existing files while reading and researching as a hobby. I went with Pages because it was integrated into the OS more. But when I found that in the newer versions you had to press or touch three times to get to the search function, at the point I stopped short and said, that’s it, no more.

I don’t remember how I stumbled on this application because I wasn’t involved in any coding/note-taking community. It was probably one of the YouTubers’ vids.
But what I do know is that for the last year, my problem-solving skills have improved: thanks to Obsidian, I am able to customize the workspace any way I like and even run some rudimentary scripts to effect changes. My still rather basic regular expressions expertise would never have been needed without wanting to convert my files to the new environment.

And with all that I am able to accomplish with it now – thanks also to the fantastic developer and user community – I wonder what Obsidian 3.6.4 or 4.1.1 will be like…?

3 Likes

I appreciate that they made use in educational institutions free without a commercial license. Didn’t have to go through university IT to ensure doing research on Obsidian complies with employer policies.

2 Likes

The only thing I worry about is if some company that didn’t care about Obsidian’s user base was able to purchase it and destroy it similar to Microsoft acquiring Atom and then abandoning with their “Embrace, extend, and extinguish" methodology”.

Love the new table functionality, this is one of the features that was keeping me in one note for so long, now I can finally switch.

I find your post particularly rude. in the thread opened specifically to be grateful to the authors of this software you promote another one. what a lack of respect

I tried Obsidian a year ago and found it too fiddly.

I tried Obsidian again two weeks ago and found it completely empowering!

It clicked for me with the mobile toolbar. I wanted a button in the iOS keyboard toolbar that quickly inserted today’s date. It was a feature in my main note taking app, but had recently been moved by fiat (I say this with love to my indie developers) to a nested menu in a recent update. So I fiddled around with the mobile toolbar in Obsidian, but didn’t see any timestamp option. I installed TimeStamper on my desktop, and a while later in mobile noticed the option to add that command to the toolbar, which I did! :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

I’ve never looked back since. I appreciate the fiddliness now because it means I have the agency and control over it. It opened my eyes to the power of customization, even in a closed environment like iOS.

Thank you Obsidian devs and community!

Well I’m just starting off into the world of writing more with a keyboard iso a pen… will still use my pen but I’m curious to see how powerful a tool this is. Thanks for making it open source. :pray::heart:

Obsidian isn’t open source, tho most community plugins are and it uses open data formats. I hope your writing goes well!

I have only installed obsidian and gone through the settings a few minutes ago, but already now I feel I should thank the developers for crafting such a beautiful piece of software.

I have a something in the ballpark of 300 notes that have been sitting idle in my Evernotes for years because I had no better place to put them at the time, but it’s a project that really demands a solid wiki structure (read: it’s a sprawling mess of brain worms) and I’m so exited to finally have a good home for this. Thank you so much for creating Obsidian.

While I don’t need the subscription features (or beta access), just getting this project in order will be more than worth the 25$ optional payment :heart:

1 Like

Hello to the Obsidian Dev team and also to the developpers of the wonderful plug-ins!

I have installed Obsidian like a week ago. Since the first day that I installed linux - like a year ago - I was searching for a note-taking app with formatting features but with a very clean interface. I couldn’t find that. I had installed Obsidian as well, but back in the time, I knew nothing about markdown and I didn’t like it.

Fast forward, one year passed, I learned a little bit Markdown, started to take notes in Neovim -for the clean layout- but I liked WYSIWYG editors, but couldn’t find any clean looking ones. Well, I found out how customizable Obsidian is! I am able to hide all the toolbars and everything with shortcuts and with .css and hider plug-in and now I have such a powerful app for note taking, where I can type in different colours (changed my headers to different colours), change text formatting, add images, I love the internal links and all of that without any toolbar visible! That’s AMAZING!

Here how 2 side by side Obsidian window looks in my set-up:

screenshot

Love it! This is what I have been searching for a long time! I know almost nothing about .css, but even me I was able to customize this wonderful app to look as I want. I am LOVING markdown and Obsidian!

Thank you so much to the creators! I signed up to the forum just to type this message! :heart:

Cheers!

4 Likes