Obsidian app icon doesn’t show up in taskbar on Linux

Steps to reproduce

Install and open app on Linux.

Expected result

I’d expect Obsidian app to have an icon in taskbar.

Actual result

Obsidian doesn’t have an icon in taskbar on Linux.

Environment

• Operating system: Linux, Ubuntu
  • Using AppImage package
  • Obsidian 1.0.3

NOTE: It’s not installation problem.
Another app that I use https://mingo.io/ had the same problem and they fixed it after it was reported. (basically electron packaging needs to be configured for AppImage)

1 Like

Screenshot_20221201_015856

As a part of user experience in 2022, the user shouldn’t need to download app icon from internet and set it manually. It should come out of the box.

Standard Notes app doesn’t have this issue with their AppImage.

The flatpak may be a better fit for you if you’re looking to have Obsidian integrate into your desktop:

As a part of user experience in 2022, the user shouldn’t need to download app icon from internet and set it manually. It should come out of the box.

1 Like

That’s one reason I advocate for the flatpak version of Obsidian. It provides you a way of installing an application in a cross-distro format so that app icons among other things that integrate into your desktop environment are provided:

$ find /var/lib/flatpak/app/md.obsidian.Obsidian/x86_64/stable/active/export -type f
/var/lib/flatpak/app/md.obsidian.Obsidian/x86_64/stable/active/export/share/applications/md.obsidian.Obsidian.desktop
/var/lib/flatpak/app/md.obsidian.Obsidian/x86_64/stable/active/export/share/icons/hicolor/512x512/apps/md.obsidian.Obsidian.png
/var/lib/flatpak/app/md.obsidian.Obsidian/x86_64/stable/active/export/share/metainfo/md.obsidian.Obsidian.appdata.xml
/var/lib/flatpak/app/md.obsidian.Obsidian/x86_64/stable/active/export/bin/md.obsidian.Obsidian

As a part of user experience in 2023, the user shouldn’t need to download app icon from internet and set it manually. It should come out of the box - regardless of the application distribution format.

I agree that a good baseline for the user experience should be feasible in 2023.

You’re more than welcome to try the Obsidian version that already does provide app icons for you today while waiting for a fix to propagate in the AppImage.

Have you tried the .deb installer at the bottom of the Linux box in Obsidian downloads?

@WhiteNoise I think @radimir does have a point. An AppImage when built correctly should supply its own icon.

One app I maintain does just this for its AppImage:

In the case of Obsidian, I had to add a custom icon to the repo:

This is essentially replicating the same workaround where users have to supply their own icons.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.