Obsdian.json - automatic vault configuration

Hi there,

Q: What is the purpose of the hash-like string 96a832d9c9cc9eca in ~/.config/obsidian/obsidian.json:

{"vaults":{"96a832d9c9cc9eca":{"path":"/tmp/vault1","ts":1643208916609,"open":true}}}

It seem the string can be empty or any other string (eg. 1) and obsidian is still opening the vault. It’s neither being overwritten or changed afterwards.

Background:
I manage my configuration files locally on my machines with Ansible. Since I only want to install/update my installation once and let ansible do the rest, I’d prefer to put the obsidian.json file into the management as well.
In order to create a more correct configuration file in json, I need to figure out where the hash-string is coming from in order to reproduce it correctly.
That way I can automatically add new vaults to the config.

I didn’t find any detailed documentation about the structure of that file so far.

regards,
Daniel

1 Like

A minor update. When setting the string to something else there shows up a file wit the same name as the string in the directory 1.json (e.g.). Guess this could be a references to the opened vault and the content looks like containing sizing information for the window of the application.

Question has become obsolete for me. No need to answer.

I am interested in the answer for the same reason (or at least knowing how you went around).

2 Likes

I am also interested to know how you did this. I am trying to set up an ansible role to do the initial Obsidian setup as well.