Numbered list does not update after deleting an intermediate element

I am not sure what the formal name of this is, and it did not seem that it was addressed by others (I don’t know what the right key word would be so perhaps my searches are not good enough).

Essentially, if there is a numbered list (which generates automatic numbers by pressing Enter) such as the following:

“1. This
2. is
3. a
4. numbered
5. list”

If I delete the 3rd line (“3. a”) Obsidian would produce the following list:

“1. This
2. is
4. numbered
5. list”

And I am expecting it to do this where it updates the bottom two numbers:

“1. This
2. is
3. numbered
4. list”

I am really new to the community, and I apologize if this has already been reported.

Thank you.

Thanks for posting.

This is not a bug – the automatic numbering is purely for your convenience. It’s inputting those for you so you don’t have to, but that doesn’t mean they will auto-update.

As a workaround, if you don’t mind how clean your Markdown source file looks, you just put "1. " before all the steps. In preview they should work, according to CommonMark spec: https://spec.commonmark.org/dingus/?text=1.%20Test 1.%20Test 1.%20Test. You’ll need to turn off the auto numbering in Setting - Editor though.

Not a great workaround, but the editor is doing what a source editor does right now, so I wouldn’t consider this a bug. Hopefully the WYSIWYG editor would fix this.

1 Like

Thank you for the response.

I had not noticed that it works fine on the preview mode.

1 Like