Note contents deleted and settings reset after update to 0.13.14

I apologize this isn’t the neatest bug report. I’m unsure what happened and don’t dare to tinker further, so I’m just going to describe what happened as best as I can.

Until yesterday I had 2 vaults open in Obsidian for a long time: my general notes vault, and my projects vault (they are separate only to avoid hitting the space limits of Obsidian Sync). Yesterday I rebooted my MacBook for the first time in a while, and when I returned to Obsidian it had updated to 0.13.14. A dialogue about Live Preview had opened; I chose to enable Live Preview.

In the projects vault I noticed that the Better Word Count community plugin wasn’t displaying its word counts. I toggled the plugin on and off, checked its setting, and tried the default word count plugin in hopes that it had gained Better’s functionality. When I tried to re-enable Better Word Count, it wouldn’t. I checked for plugin updates, and 4 had updates available (I don’t remember if Better Word Count was one of them). I clicked the buttons to update them, but when I came back they had not updated. I tried again, and the progress bars for the updates seemed stuck.

I’m unsure of the order of events here: I think I closed and reopened the vault, tho I might have quit Obsidian. When I reopened the vault (or Obsidian), one of the the open notes in the projects vault had lost its contents (I had had maybe 5 notes open).

I don’t recall what I did then, but then or eventually I quit and restarted Obsidian. The projects vault opened with no notes open. Several icons were missing from the leftmost sidebar, which led me to realize that settings had changed — some core plugins had been disabled. I should have left everything as I found it, but I started re-enabling core plugins. When I saw that Obsidian Sync was disabled, I thought perhaps reconnecting would fix things. But then I thought maybe reconnecting it would break my sync copy, so I didn’t. Before this happened Obsidian Sync was syncing some settings but not all (I’d turned some off to avoid problems with Obsidian Mobile).

I’m not sure how to proceed. I could restore from my last system backup of the vault, but I think it is from before the update to 0.13.14 and I don’t know if that will cause problems.

As far as I know, the notes vault is intact.

I don’t see any other posts about problems like this.


  • Operating system: MacOS Big Sur 11.6
  • Debug info:
    Obsidian version: v0.13.14
    Installer version: v0.12.12
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 1
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 12
    Plugins enabled: 0

Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.

I suggest you to create a new backup of your notes just to be safe and then reconnect your vault.

I updated my installer version and then took your suggestion, and it seems to have worked. I had to re-enable plugins, but their settings had been preserved. The file whose content had been deleted was restored (I may have made a trivial change to the file on another device between the onset of the problem and reconnecting to Sync; I’m not sure). Other settings seem OK. I haven’t yet checked if any other files are blank.

I’d love to know why this happened, but I doubt I’ll find out and for now the vault seems to be fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.