Node color, filtering, and depth for local graphs in Obsidian Publish mode

Local graphs in Obsidian Publish are great for navigation, but they lack visualization features available on the desktop.

I use Obsidian to track the global circulation of films and filmmakers from Asia, Africa, and Latin America in 1946-1990–graphs visualize the variety of contacts that happened during that time: Obsidian Publish

On the desktop I am able to display films, directors, countries, and events in different colors (by tag), but on the Publish site it is impossible to distinguish between them.

On the desktop, I can filter to show only films or only directors present at a particular event, or extend depth to see connections to other events, but not in the published version.

It would be great to have the same functionality for local graphs in the Publish mode as exists on the desktop, specifically node colors, filtering, and depth, already available on the desktop version.

Hard-coding node colors by tag into CSS could be a viable workaround, if possible.

Related feature requests

Global Graph View for Obsidian Publish
Graph View: Colored clusters

20 Likes

I fully agree with this FR

3 Likes

+1! Would be great to add features like these. For anyone (including myself) who’d like their readers to use graph view as more than just a ‘gimmick’…

4 Likes

I have tried and tried to fidget with my publish.css in order to target files by filename prefix, by path, or by YAML so that I can color my graph nodes.
Either some css wizard (please) comes along and shows us a lengthy workaround with a lot of typing, or the developers add support for filters and groups on publish.

6 Likes

hey, this is an awesome idea. any updates on the feature?

2 Likes

+1 on this feature!

I would love to be able to hide the various template notes that I use from the graph, such as my header/footer templates (every page) which have no meaningful presence in the graph at all. Ideally we’d be able to filter out based on a pattern match for both files and folders.

1 Like

Hi there!
Obsidian publish support confirms that filtering is still not an option. To me, this makes the publish version much less powerful than the desktop one. That is why I am bumping this thread up: please add your voice to this discussion to make filtering a priority in the next developments!

5 Likes

+1 so much usefull

1 Like

+1 I’ve been waiting for this since the start of publish

1 Like

Hi Obsidian teams! Any news on this filter option add-on? I do not know from a developper standpoint, but from a user standpoint, that looks both necessary and very basic :pray:
Thanks a lot for considering this!

Still waiting for it :pray: Hope it will be able soon :fire:
thx

Agree with everything you said + I would add displaying arrows and tags because they help tremendously with discoverability, categorisation and suggesting other related notes you might want to look into.

1 Like

Hi ! :wave:

I’ve come across information that the new version of Obsidian Publish allows complete customization of site appearance using CSS and JavaScript.

They say : “The look of your Obsidian Publish site can be fully customized with CSS and Javascript.”

However, I’m unsure if this includes the specific features we’ve been looking for.

Could someone with knowledge of this version of Obsidian Publish verify if it will support the specific customization features ?

Thx a lot🙏

need this a lot

The graph is somewhat of an afterthought for Publish at least. Not to mention that they force you to have a rather distasteful double “Powered by Obsidian” output. You pay quite a premium for official Publish and you get… that.

+1 for this feature, and the ability to remove that ugly “Powered by Obsidian”. If I want to brag about how I use Obsidian let me do it on my own terms, otherwise, the UI should f off.

+1, Please make this happen. This feature alone could make publishing so much more powerful.

+1 on this! I hope Publish gets some more love eventually. Obsidian Publish really helps spread the word and show what Obsidian can look like in different use cases so I hope they can keep it up to date with the power of the desktop version.

Hi there! Still waiting for the filtering option :pray: Obsidian software, that I use for free, is evolving regularly and that’s amazing. But why is something I pay +100$ a year is not evolving at all? I do not understand the business model here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I publish a public notebook that only as a few hundred notes in it. But the global view of graph view - it’s too crowded and overwhelming to my end users. Publishing with a graph view (local mode) makes perfect sense as a useful feature to offer my viewers. Attention to this shortcoming would be helpful.

+10 … please <3