Newbie looking for a vault 'viewer' on iOS

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, I wasn’t sure if it fit fully.

I am running away from Notion and have imported all my notes happily into a Obsidian vault but I now have no way to view it on my phone without paying for Sync which I don’t want to do for various reasons.

I have my vault stored in iCloud so my thinking is I might be able to find an iOS app that can just display the files in the vault folder structure. Bonus points if it can deal with links or other Obsidian things but I’d be happy with something that simply searches and displays and doesn’t require a subscription of its own.

I’ve searched the AppStore and have found a few positive looking candidates but many need purchase, subscription or no updates for 4 years so I can’t test that they’ll do what I’d like:

• Taio
  • Simplenote
  • 1Writer
  • iWriter

Any suggestions for which to try?

You can use iCloud Drive to sync your vault(s).

Any vault (a folder with the .obsidian/ settings folder in it) in iCloud Drive/Obsidian/{VAULT-NAME} on the desktop will be in the same location on iOS and can be opened as a vault with Obsidian for mobile.

Ah, thank you! This is sort of what I initially tried but it looks like I attempted Obsidian many years ago and it didn’t stick but during that attempt I had manually made an Obsidian folder in iCloud Drive and I couldn’t get the iOS app to point to that folder.

Thanks to your post I duplicated the Vault from that folder to the newly created app folder and it saw it right away no worries!

Great!

And if you have multiple vaults, e.g.,

iCloud Drive/Obsidian/{VAULT-NAME1}
iCloud Drive/Obsidian/{VAULT-NAME2}

on iOS, you tap on the vault name in the left sidebar to switch vaults.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.