New with 0.12.4: Moment.locale() sticks at "en" even when I switch Obsidian to another language

Steps to reproduce

Open a console, enter moment.locale().

Since 0.12.4 this sticks at “en”, whatever language I choose in Obsidian.

It used to show the 2-letter code of whatever Obsidian language was selected in settings—thus the only reliable way (until 012.3) to set correct number formats for output.

Almost all my code that outputs numbers uses

number..toLocaleString(moment.locale(), {maximumFractionDigits: 1})

and is now broken.

I already disabled all community plugins and CSS snippets one-by-one to find the cause, because it seems to work in the old help vault. (Does that ever get updated?)

I cannot use navigator.language, because that always sticks with OS’s language setting (“de”). And I have to switch between English and German and other languages a lot.

I’m at a loss, any help/bug checks/debugging suggestions welcome!

Expected result

moment.locale() (and ideally also navigator.language) reflecting the language Obsidian is currently set to.

Needed for multilingual people, for writing (and checking) notes in other languages, for bug reports and instructional material, etc.

Actual result

moment.locale() sticks to “en”, navigator.language to “de”.


  • Operating system: Linux Mint 20.1, Ubuntu 14.04.5 for retro-testing
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.4, installer 0.12.4

Additional information

I did disable all plugins, but should any plugin author read this, please comment if you modify moment’s locale!

FWIW, I’m usually using (worked until 0.12.3):

  • the default theme, light
  • Core Plugins:
    • File explorer
    • Search
    • Quick switcher
    • Graph view
    • Backlinks
    • Outgoing links
    • Tag pane
    • Page preview
    • Command palette
    • Daily Notes
    • Templates
    • Outline
    • Word count
    • Slides
    • Audio recorder
    • Open in default app
    • File recovery
  • Community plugins:
    • Advanced tables
    • Better word count
    • Copy button for code blocks
    • Dangling links
    • Dataview
    • Extract highlights
    • Find unlinked files and unresolved links
    • Hotkeys for templates
    • Hotkeys++
    • (Icons)
    • Obsidian Leaflet
    • (Pandoc Plugin)
    • (Pomodoro plugin)
    • Show whitespace
    • Shuffle
    • Sliding panes (Andy’s Mode)
    • Sortable
    • Templater
    • Text snippets

Those in (parentheses) are only enabled for testing—I don’t regularly use these.

I can’t repro. Post a screen recording of chaging locale in the help vault.

As I said … Any better suggestions? There must be some subtle difference between the help vault and a “normal” vault with everything disabled. Thankful for helpful debugging tips!

After writing all this, I realized it might belong into “Developers”, but it’s seldom that anyone answers there …

Since you can’t repro in the help vault, I am going to archive this.

The help vault gets updated and pushed to users.

Sorry to say, and believe me I know it’s hard to manage a forum and categorize bug reports, with 43 years of IT experience, but it is not helpful to treat everybody as if they were total noobs.

Just a little more willingness to help could suit those responsible well, and benefit the product …

I am no threating you as a noob, we just don’t have the resources to deal with plugin generated problems.

If you figure out this is an Obsidian’s core problem, open a bug report.

In the meantime, I suggest using the help section.