New Plugin: Tag autocompletion for YAML Front Matter (and formatting!)

Over the weekend I got tired of using workarounds to get tag autocompletion in the note front matter. Decided to set up a simple plugin, and then got a bit carried away.

I present my not-so-cleverly-named plugin:

Front Matter Tag Wizard (github)

Here’s the current feature set:

• Enables tag autocompletion in front matter.
  • Works for both single line and multi-line tag list styles.
  • Auto-formats front matter tags into either a single line or a line per tag (optional).
  • Strips " and # from front matter tags that use the workaround (optional)

This has been a fun little project. I have it working well against my daily workflow, but that’s just one small data point. Would love to hear how it works for you, and what improvements I could make to it.

Instructions for installing the plugin via BRAT are at the Github link if needed.

9 Likes

Great addition, just started using tags for tagging people and this is extremely useful at saving me some keystrokes :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it’s useful for you! I’ve submitted it to the community plugins list, so hopefully it will be there soon.

1 Like

Great plugin. I use a format like tags: [tag1 tag2/subtag]. It works well except with autocompletion. This plugin just made it.

Just reported an issue with the auto-formatting, have other also seen this?

This thread seems to still periodically get attention, so I just wanted to note that I ultimately switched over to the Completr plugin from tth05. It’s a great plugin that goes far beyond the functionality I originally set out to build. Highly recommend!

2 Likes

What about Various Complements? Works on mobile too.