New Plugin: Hierarchical Outgoing Links

Hello everyone! I wanted to share with you my take on outgoing links - Hierarchical Outgoing Links.

In the age old debate between folders and tags I lean on folders a lot to manage my day-to-day work as an engineering leader. I keep notes on 1+1 meetings, project updates, personal notes, etc… Obsidian allows me to easily link people and meetings to projects, daily tasks to people I need to talk to, etc… In the span of a day I can transition between a meeting about quarterly planning down to troubleshooting a production incident. I keep notes on EVERYTHING and thus I have had to create structure to the chaos within my vault by using folders.

Here’s an example comparing the core outgoing links plugin to the Hierarchical Outgoing Links plugin:

Core example
The core plugin lists links as an flat list. It lists the location of the file underneath the link name. It also uses icons to indicate whether the link is resolved or not.

Hierarchical Outgoing Links Example
The Hierarchical Outgoing Links plugin organizes resolved links into the folder-based hierarchy. It also groups unresolved Links into it’s own section which makes it easier to identify references that need to be addressed.

This is the initial release. Let me know what you think. Drop me a line here or in github.

Cheers!

7 Likes