New plugin: Citations (with Zotero)

@Erisread don’t take this personally, the critical comment above was just really rude and not addressed specifically to you but probably caused by the anger of someone who just realized that the beta version of markdown editor will have less function than Word or other much longer developed software

2 Likes

Really cool plugin! Is there currently a way to handle multiple libraries? I often work with shared libraries in Zotero.

I guess there would be the problem of potential duplicate citekeys.

1 Like

Please keep the thread on topic. A small reminder of the rules:

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

9 Likes

My citekey in zotero better bibtex is [auth:lower][year]
But why does it still showing the big citekey in obsidian like ​[auth:lower][shorttitle3_3][year]. i Have updated My Library.bib as well.any idea what am i missing?

2 Likes

Hi, the file reloading issue doesn’t seem to have been resolved for me. Unless I go and edit the bibliography name in the plugin settings it doesn’t reload. I’m using Mac OSX bigSur. Happy to test things + provide any further details if it helps resolve this. I’m using the latest version of obsidian and the plugin.

I just wanted to note that ReadCube Papers has an auto-updating .bib file in the main Papers folder. I use it and it works well with the citekey management enabled.

See support document:
https://support.papersapp.com/support/discussions/topics/30000001620

1 Like

Hello! I’m a graduate student who is tired of fiddling around with export settings in Scrivener and considering making a jump to Obsidian as my word processor. As such, I’m super excited to see Zotero integration with Obsidian!

However, I’m running into problems with Pandoc. I have no clue how to use it, and I’ve been procrastinating all day with it. I found ncraig’s post (New plugin: Citations (with Zotero) - #80 by ncraig) to be the most helpful in this regard, but I couldn’t get the terminal code to work. I suspect that this is because I’m running a mac while ncraig gave code for windows.

I’m not a coder by any means, so explaining it as kindergarten level as it can get would be appreciated! Thanks!

Try to install make and pandoc using brew on a mac (basically setup of pandoc should be much easier on mac because access to terminal); I am writing all options I want to use with pandoc to makefile script and run it in the terminal from the folder the md file is located (example of makefile script)

here is a nice tutorial
https://learnbyexample.github.io/customizing-pandoc/

to run this tutorial on mac you may need to install an tex distribution to generate pdf from md (check this intro, there many other tutorial on the web, this is not obsidian specific)
https://uoftcoders.github.io/studyGroup/lessons/misc/pandoc-intro/lesson/

In latest pandoc you need to use --citeproc instead of filter citeproc as in some examples you may find in the internet

1 Like

Another tutorial how to generate output files using pandoc Sustainable Authorship in Plain Text using Pandoc and Markdown | Programming Historian

1 Like

How can I extract all the strings from a .bib file?

I have for example the following:

@article{jahn:narrative,
  title        = {Narrative Voice and Agency in Drama},
  author       = {Jahn, Manfred},
  year         = {2001},
  volume       = {32},
  number       = {3},
  pages        = {659--679},
  doi          = {10.1353/nlh.2001.0037},
  issn         = {00286087},
  pagination   = {page},
  journaltitle = {New Literary History},
  subtitle     = {Aspects of a Narratology of Drama},
  pagetotal    = {21}

I want to have all the fields in the .md file

I use
pandoc input.md -f markdown -t latex --natbib -o output.tex

and then compile with latex/biblatex.

I’m very new to this, but I am having the same issue. I use latex and r-markdown frequently. I would love to have a formatted list of references at the end of the note “compiled” or “rendered” when preview is clicked. Perhaps this is already a feature and I can’t figure it out or perhaps I need to be previewing in another program like “marked 2”. I am feeling quite dumb here haha

As far as I’m aware, right now the plugin is for inserting references only, and not for previewing them. You need pandoc or something like that to render them properly.

1 Like

If I add a link to a citation using this plugin, without having first opened that citation, then the file is created in the root directory. As such, if I then want to populate a note with the standard reference info, I need to delete the one in root and open it normally. Would be good to have an option to create notes automatically when a link is inserted.

1 Like

Hi,
many thanks for this great plugin ! It is very useful !
In Zettlr we can preview the bibliography linked to a file in the right panel, using the [@ref] in the file. Is there any way to do the same with this plugin ?
Anyway, thanks for your great work !

1. The note is created automatically when you link to a reference using the plugin
  2. You can define a default folder in the plugin’s settings

Hi jgauthier, the citation plugin looks very cool. My question is I thought that the pandoc format [@citekey] will be directly rendered in Obsidian preview mode? But it seems not? I’m not sure whether I failed to set up correctly or Obsidian simply does not support such rendering.

This plugin is very cool. The only thing which would really make it perfect is if the [@Citekey2021, 23] pandoc citation syntax could link to the literature note for Citekey2021.

I don’t think it is supposed to render as of now. It is just for inserting the md citekey.

Ah ok, I’ve read a bit more about it, and I’ve added a feature request for Obsidian to recognise Pandoc syntax as first-class Obsidian links: Recognise pandoc citations as Obsidian links